Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scam to buy my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pistoleroace, Oct 14, 2003.

1. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post this.

I know by now that most of you are aware of this scam as it has been posted before on talkbass but this is the first time I have seen it first hand so I thought I would share the e-mail I recieved concerning the purchase of my Warwick Thumb 4 NT that I have for sale.

"We are dealers of used and new Musical Intrument, based in London,Intrested and also willing to buy from you. My customer in West Africa, demanded for your 2002 Warwick Thumb 4 NT. Could you please provide us with your full name, address and telephone number where payment will be sent to. My customer who's in west africa,will need all this informations for payment since he's making payment to you directly. I have already told him the price, he accepted to raise a cashier's check or money order issued in U.S Bank which is $8,200 to send to you. Also reconfirm to me in your reply the best give away price you can offer. You have to assure me that you are going to send the differences to me or my Shipper through Western Union Money Transfer or Money gramm money Transfer after deducting the cost of goods from the Money. This serves as my profit from the business.My shipper we need this money to come and pick to ship to him in west africa.My shipper will contact you immediately after payment.
    Thanks
    sammie"

I wanted to share this with everyone just in case someone else gets an e-mail like this so they know what it looks like. As I mentioned, this is the first time I have seen an actual e-mail trying to scam.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, good catch. I've gotten one of these two, from the African connection. Also several offers to buy eBay merchandise from obvious credit card scammers in Malaysia, offering an incentive to end an auction early for X dollars, where X is usually way above the fair market value. Also have been getting a lot of fake eBay e-mails lately, usually stating there's a problem with my account and please click on the link to update my information, and the e-mail looks like it's from eBay, and the link says it's going to eBay, but when you put your mouse over the link and look down below it's some completely different address. It's like the wild wild west out there on the Internet, lots of opportunists and not much law.

3. That's the problem, so it's buyer or seller beware!

[​IMG]
    Treena