Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scam?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    I listed my computer for sale in an online classifieds.. and i got this response

"hello,
    i am contended with the conditons of the items.so i will like to know your prefered method of payment,but i only pay through the use of cashier's cheque.if you are ok with my method of payment,then get back to me as soon as possible with your:name,address,phone number and email address,provided you are also ready to accept the only condition attached with the payment. "

that seem fishy to anyone else?

2. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

It's a scam. Scammers love to use cashier's checks. He also has bad spelling and grammar, which means he's likely an overseas scammer that doesn't have a firm handle on English.

3. the grammar and spelling are suspicious. i would be concerned about a bogus cashiers check.

the solution would be to answer back with a stipulation before providing any further information - do not provide your name address or anything until they agree to it.

the stipulation: they must notify of what bank the cashier's check will be drawn on and they must agree that you will cash the cashier's check at that bank (not your bank) before you will send the item.

if you are not familiar with the bank, turn the deal down. if you are familiar with the bank and feel comfortable taking the next step, provide your name and address. if you receive the cashiers check, take it to their bank and cash it, then ship the item knowing you have your money. if you cash the check at your bank, the money is not actually yours until it clears as legitimate.

I suspect when you answer with stipulations, you'll never hear from them again.

good luck with it.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    clay...you have got to be kidding.

-Mike

5. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I always ignore any reply that doesn't ask specific questions about the item for sale.

That is a scam

Bryan

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005

And I always thought you were so net savvy...

:scowl: :p

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It does seem VERY fishy. I'm not an expert or anything, but I'm pretty sure that EVERY word there is spelled correctly. The grammar is off as per tradition, but you just might have one of the rarest of all e-mails. A properly spelled scam.

8. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Don't do it, Dood. :scowl: :scowl:

9. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Yep, scam. My wife has an online business and get's e-mails from scammers all the time. Once, she got one from someone from Nigeria saying "we here in Nigeria have a desperate need for your product, do you take a credit card?" After getting several like this I told her to reply back and ask what they wanted. She did and they said they'd like one of everything in her inventory and, by the way, can you get us a few laptops as well? The funny thing is that what they had a "desperate" need for in Nigeria was quilting fabric (oh yeah and the laptops, too).

As another poster mentioned, be wary anytime they don't mention what you're selling.

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Don't mess with it at all even with stipulations. The checks are bad, often clear the bank at first, are caught later. You have no computer and are on the line for the check.
    They are getting good with the checks.

11. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    what if they offer to pay through paypal?

i just got another email that was for paypal

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's a new twist, and not something I would have expected.
    Have they identified the item yet? Are they in the States?
    PayPal is pretty safe, but some of the conditions don't apply if it's not through E-Bay.

13. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    the guy says he is from texas.

in another email he said that although he's form texas, he wants to ship it to nigeria.

haha. oh well, guess that one's out too.

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    He didn't type like he was FROM Texas, maybe IN Texas. The PayPal puts on a new twist, but if it were me, I think I'd pass.

15. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    well the guy form texas was a seperate person. the first person's email from from the UK..

here is what the "texan" said.

"Hi, do u want to sell this Item? if yes what payment method do you want. and do you ship internationally? reply asap.will pay you through paypal or BOA and would like you to calculate the shipping cost to Nigeria for am sending it to my Niece for her forthcoming birthday ok."

scam written all over that

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Yup! They must have figured out something with PayPal. The B of A check is just counterfiet.

17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You can probably get a paypal account for a few days based on stolen credit card information.

18. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Couldn't have said it in simpler terms. :) Most people tend to have at least ONE question about the item for sale.

AuG

19. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ask and you shall receive.

"hello there how are u doing..i am intrested in buying ur laptop ok..but i need to know somethings..i need to be sure its in perfect working condition..i need to know if it comes with more accesories,and i want to know if thats ur final price ...so holla back asap rite.."

profile says he is 30 and from PA.

i think i'll check him out until i detect anything fishy

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don;t know... if he talks like that all the time, I wouldn't trust him to sit the right way on a toilet.