1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scambling!! Need advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jun 25, 2014.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Big gig coming up. About 2 weeks to solve my issue with my Modulus bass. Bartolini p'ups. Bart preamp. All stock Modulus Q5. B - D sound great. No dead spots anywhere. The G string is about 1/4 the volume of the rest of the bass and is consistently bad from nut to end of the fretboard. I have not really noticed it before because we have not played many shows and I usually stay off that high string. Anyway, we were practicing at stage volume last night and I had almost nothing out of that G string..
    Any help advice or whatever you can give would be great. I am very seriously thinking about just buying a complete new bass without any worries... I just have to have a complete and reliable bass

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Do you have a weak G with both pickups?

Try to fret the G at about the 18th with the neck pickup on, and bend the string until it is closer to the middle of the pickup, and see if it gets louder.

3. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    That seems pretty extreme for so easy a fix, but try a new g string first and start working back from there.

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
  5. It could be the settings on your amp. Try your amp flat just to see.

If you have the bass cranked or the highs cut, it can make a g string disappear.

6. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I just put a new set of strings on it. D'Addario's. never had a bad string ever. I guess that could be an issue, but I wouldn't think it should be. I was told to try to flip the p'up around to see if the B string get's quiet and the G gets normal volume as well.

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If you have a problem with strings, the first step is always to try new strings.

lz4005 likes this.
  8. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Good idea. Try turning the pickup around

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Met with my Luthier yesterday. Pushed the bass through 1 of my cab's and it was just fine. Parametric EQ is working great, graphic on the SVT 7pro working just fine. So, here are our thoughts.. Let me know what you might think. First, I am going to have to try to figure out how to check phase between my 2x12 cabinet to make sure those 2 speakers are working properly. Second, I am going to have to hook up my single 12 and the dual 12 to see of all 3 speakers are in phase. We are thinking it might be a phase issue with one of the speakers causing me to hear a loss of that high end which could be a result of an out of phase speaker.
    If all my speakers are in phase, then we are going to turn 1 of my pickups around to see if they balance out, but while playing it last night through 1 cab, it sounded perfectly clean and equal through all the strings at all volumes and all configurations on the bass.

10. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    To check for correct polarity (phasing) of your speakers if you have a 1/4" jack plug cable into it and then connect A 9vdc battery + to tip - to sleeve. All speaker cones should push outward if one moves inward it is reversed phase. Typically white wire is + and connects to + terminal and black to - please note this is for all speakers in parallel. You could have a series or series/parallel setup. Never the less the 9vdc test is valid

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I will be out to try this tonight.. Got to find a 1/4 speaker cable :), have not used one in I don't know how long...

12. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Just use guitar cable as this is low current and voltage. Fine for this but don't use it with amp for speaker cable

HolmeBass likes this.
  13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Cool I will give it a try