1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scammed by Scott Carroll (formerly scotts42 on TB)

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by sadeau, Oct 23, 2013.

1. sadeau

sadeau

Jun 21, 2012
    A little over a month ago or so Scott Carroll posted that he was selling his Epiphani 2x12. I contacted him telling him I was interested. He said he could not use paypal because his girlfriend hacked it so I must send him a certified check. I checked out his past reputation here on TB and found that he had around a dozen or so positive revues on gear that he's sold and bought over TB. "Awesome" I thought to myself, seems trustworthy.

I sent the check (over $500) to the address supplied (his mother's physical address) and continued communication with him. He told me all about the cab and asked what I'd be powering it with. Everything seemed great until that final text message. I asked if he had shipped the cab and he said he had. I asked for the tracking number and he told me it was on his desk at home and he'd send it to me after work. I never heard back from him again despite numerous calls to his cell and work phone number.

I know his mother's address, name and what bank she uses. I know where Scott works and have a rough Idea of his schedule. What else can I do short of taking him to small claims court?

Oh and there are several other people who've been scammed by him as well around the same time frame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: He went under the username scotts42 but has since been banned.

2. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    What's his Talkbass user name so we can avoid anyone else getting scammed.
    Call him at work. If it was me the fella would get no rest from me relentlessly trying to get hold of him. Do not mess with my money is my motto!

3. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Sure, his gf stole all his money and he needed yours. :atoz:

+1 to contacting the Post Office and reporting the fraud.

5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    We have contacted the other member in question and made it clear it is in his best interest to get this cleared up, hopefully that will help but there is obviously only so much we can do

7. sadeau

sadeau

Jun 21, 2012
    I wasn't aware of this. I'll do that right away. Thanks for the ideas!

8. No one answers at his work? You can probably reverse look up his address and find out if there is a home phone number and clue his mom in.

9. I look for nothing from him. I called an he said he would send a check an make it right. still have not heard or received anything. like the rest he said he could not find the trackin number. its sad to think a TB member would to this to anyone let alone a TB brother.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    People are people, TB member or not.

11. How long ago did your check clear? How far is the shipping?

12. sadeau

sadeau

Jun 21, 2012
    Check cleared almost two months ago. Shipping can't be more than 1000 miles.

13. Oh boy. Sorry man. This stinks.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    If the checked cleared, it's a theft. He took your money and didn't provide the item. Contact the local courthouse where he lives and ask how to file a criminal complaint for theft.

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Since you mailed the check, take your paperwork and contact the US Post Office and file a complaint. Mail Fraud is what it's called. The USPS doesn't like being used to scam people.

Good luck.

16. sadeau

sadeau

Jun 21, 2012
    I am definitely doing that. Thanks for all the suggestions!

17. No one answers at his work?

18. Sorry to hear that, good luck, hope it all works out!
    Subscribed.

19. sadeau

sadeau

Jun 21, 2012
    I haven't been able to get him when he's in. I've talked to others there and left him tons of voice messages on his work number.

20. I would explain to his work what happened. Make them aware of the type of person they have working for them.