1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scammers are getting better and better

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pstyle, Mar 24, 2011.

1. I put up a bass for sale on craigslist and got this as a response:

Is it available again?? Get back to me asap. Thanks

Jeff Brown
    [email protected]

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Seems pretty legit right? And it was the 2nd time I had this bass for sale on CL so his response made sense.

So I wrote him that I don't remember hearing from him earlier but that it's still available.

His response to that:

Hello,

Thanks for the mail, i am presently in Houston on a Oil spillage
    clean-up training course as a facility engineer of BP Oil Company. Am
    ordering for this musical instrument because is urgently needed to be
    delivered to my church for choir.

I am on a world Oil spillage clean-up training programme, I am also a
    UN worker, due to the nature of the training that is going on here,
    visiting of website are restricted but I squeezed out time to check
    this advert because I received mail from my church pastor that is
    urgently needed that is why I send you an email regarding it.

I can only send you a PayPal payment which protects me and you from
    scam and fraud, I insisted on paypal because I don't have access to my
    bank account online as I don't have internet banking, but I can pay
    from my paypal account, as I have my bank account attached to it,

I will need you to give me your paypal email address so I can make the
    payments asap for the instrument and please, if you don't have paypal
    account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get
    it set up , after you have set it up I will only need the e-mail
    address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money
    through.

I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after you
    cash the money

Regards.

Damn.. I thought I had a sale!

2. I get at least one of these every time I list something of any value on CL. It is usually easy to tell because they word things in such an odd way.

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Yep that's a scammer alright.....

4. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    It's legit, bro.

5. I agree with you on his 2nd response, but the 1st response seems pretty legit. he has a normal looking email address and even the "Sent from Blackberry" signature.

6. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    wonder where he/she learned to type?????

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Yeah - even the Nigerians are finally changing their letters to sound more legitimate.

Just ask him to send the PayPal to his friend, who will bring you the CASH!

8. Send Him an invoice from paypal and wait for payment. If he pays ship it. we all make typos some (me ) more than others especially on a mobile.

9. His 2nd email is classic scammer style. If i receive payment from him, it will probably be from a hi-jacked paypal account. Paypal will eventually cancel that payment and take the money from my account most likely, and I will be out of a bass if I ship it.

10. cash that money suhn

11. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    I would never put "Musical Instrument" in a response. That's the first giveaway. Man, these people must not be too bright..

12. I am still playing one of these guys --- for a while yet anyway.

They always ask if 'it' is for sale again, and I ask them which color 'it' are they needing or if they want the large 'it' or the small 'it', and this goes on and on for days.

Kinda fun if you find a sense of the arcane/absurd in it like I do - but I live in a parallel universe anyway. (That may or may not be obvious to TBers - my parallel-universe thing.)

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've had follow up illiterate messages after an initial brief inquiry for a couple years now.

14. I actually replied to a "Is this still available?" email for the first time a couple days ago. The originating address was obviously a business domain so I checked it out and it was a local company. Turns out dude was legit. The first one ever that sent that message!

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I will never understand why a scammer would not take more effort to make themselves NOT sound like a scammer. Even if they sort out the english, they're always going on about how it's urgent, giving their life story and why they are destined for you to sell you your item/give you money etc.. You think they'd know that is a red flag now.

16. It's the nuances of the English language that usually screws them up and they stand out like an idiot.

Just for fun - and you really don't need to even own the name product - try calling Xxxx-Tech in the far east and talk to anyone who answers the phone.

"Hello - my name is 'Bob', and I am personally seeking to be of your assistance to you with your technical problem on this day."

This is a lot more fun than making prank calls. Try for a personal best by timing the conversation to see how long you can hold them on line until THEY quit.

I'll save this for when I wind up in the Old Bass-Players Home For The Terminally Incontinent --- when I get really old.

17. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Your analysis is so accurate. When they're way more interested in proving their "legitimacy" than they are in the item itself, that's a big clue.

18. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Hello,

Thanks for the mail, i am presently in Houston on a Oil spillage clean-up training course as a facility engineer of BP Oil Company. Am ordering for this musical instrument because is urgently needed to be delivered to my church for choir.

I am on a world Oil spillage clean-up training programme, I am also a UN worker, due to the nature of the training that is going on here, visiting of website are restricted but I squeezed out time to check
    this advert because I received mail from my church pastor that is urgently needed that is why I send you an email regarding it.

I can only send you a PayPal payment which protects me and you from scam and fraud, I insisted on paypal because I don't have access to my bank account online as I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my paypal account, as I have my bank account attached to it,

I will need you to give me your paypal email address so I can make the
    payments asap for the instrument and please, if you don't have paypal
    account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get
    it set up , after you have set it up I will only need the e-mail
    address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money
    through.

I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after you
    cash the money

Regards.

...these highlighted grammatical errors are a dead giveaway. typical 419 scam but they think they can confuse someone by saying they want to use paypal

19. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I think the bigger question is this: how are enough people still falling for these to make it even worthwhile for the scammers? I know they do it en masse, but still...

20. I've always thought it would be fun to string them along for a bit of fun as well. Think of some long reply that had as many grammatical errors and run on sentences as the one they sent. Arrange for my delivery agent to meet with their pickup agent to discuss terms for the transfer of the item, etc.:D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021