Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scanning Negatives

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 29, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anyone around here ever scan any negatives? What were the results for you? I have leftover pics I never developed from Photo I. All B+W. When I scan them there are black spots all over the negative, heres a pic I fixed up...

[​IMG]

I took most of the black spots out w/clone tool + added color among a few other effects. The ball is smoothed out too much, it should have bumps on it. Also, it's not very sharp at all. I know about cleaning negatives, but I cleaned the negative and scanner before use. Also set it at a higher dpi. Like 750 or something around that area. Experts?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    put a white sheet of paper behind it. that usually gives a pretty good image.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Cool beans, I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks!

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I scan negatives but I use a negative scanner. Works great with super high quality.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

How much did that run you?

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That picture looks really cool!@!!!!!

7. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    You can get a dedicated negative scanner but those will run you 400 and way up. Search hardware review sites like epinions or c-net and you can find good consumer level scanners that have little 35mm negative trays for under 100. I like Cannons.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I'm still trying to figure out what all the things in that pic are....

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm a sports photographer for my school's yearbook, so I get to use their neg scanners. I don't know how much they cost, but they weren't cheap.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Awww shucks... twernt nuthin' :smug:

Killdar: OK, the boy is my brother Erik.

The ball is a hampster ball... you can't see the hampster because A) I wasn't close enough B) The picture isn't sharp enough C) I used the clone tool to remove a lot of dots so the hampster is probably smudged outta there.

That ball of fur on the left is one of the family dogs Mojo Jojo.

11. enlighten me. why would you scan negatives, other than for kicks?

12. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    oh wait....I see it now! his legs are crossed...and he's sitting on the floor. I just saw the top half of a kid holding a ball, floating in space with a bunch of random objects everywhere. I'm slow.

13. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    When you scan a print, your often at the mercy of what ever kind of paper the print was made on. Scanning a negative (properly) can eliminate this problem. Also remember its just a one second operation to reverse the colors in photoshop.

14. buy a cheap negative scanner...

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Assuming that 1. You want to scan a negative to get a 'normal' picture rather than playing around for cool effect, and 2. You don't want to make an investment to do it... Lots of consumer-grade photo labs (Walgreens, etc.) can now scan negs and give you a CD for a pretty reasonable price. Just a couple of years ago you'd have to go to a pro lab or service bureau to have this done. The scans aren't pro-level (smaller file sizes), but they certainly don't suck, either.

:)

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

MY main reason is in my photo class. We developed 720 negatives, I made about 35 of them into decent prints. And I'll have photo II next semester. :eek:

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I used to be a photographer...I don't know what happened, I lost my muse I guess, because I haven't had adecent print in a while, and I rarely feel like going to the darkroom.

oh well, I was good at it too, maybe I'll pick it up again some day.

18. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I know how you feel about the darkroom. Pretty much everything I shoot nowadays is color though, so it just gets sent off to be processed. And then there's this whole digital thing. Someday I'll be able to afford to go digital.

By the way, this is one of the negative scanners I use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph...OSS4000P___REG___CatID=1151___SID=F5C211E38C0

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I gave up pretty quick on print making. It's quite an art, and I admire those with the skill and patience for it. I got rid of my enlarger and these days I'll develop my BW film in the bathroom and scan any shot that looks good on the light table using a Nikon Coolpix film scanner. Image tweaks, tinting and edge effects done in Photoshop - I feel like I get the best parts of film and digital this way - at least for someone like me who lacks skill/patience in the darkroom.

I have worked a little deal with my boss' wife, too - she really digs some of my BW stuff, and has paid for drum scanning and super high-end output prints of some of my best shots in exchange for a print to hang in their house. I get a print or two and the high rez scan...

I'd put some 35mm stuff shot on TMax 100 and drum scanned up against your average medium format stuff and challenge you to pick the 35mm shots! Pretty good stuff!

:)

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's all about making prints....when I WAS a photographer, all my art was in the darkroom. I had too much fun experimenting with new things and tweaking all my images.

who needs photoshop when you have darkroom abilities :p

but, I have lost htat drive, I am on a photography block, I need a new muse.