Scar on bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JAL, Mar 27, 2005.

1. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Well, i just discovered a nice gouge, about 1 cm circular, on my MIM zone (gloss black) finish bass. You can see past the grey primer to the wood. What do i do??? I dont mind a lil scratch here and there, its black, it will show up (part of the appeail) but id like to get this taken care of. Any suggestions?
  2. Leave it alone. It's yours now.

Either that, or black nail poish, topped with clear nail polish. Done.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If the gouge is deep enough you can try putting some water in the gouge, see if you can make a small puddle in the gouge (or fill the gouge with water) then heat up a soldering iron if you have one and put the hot tip in the water, this will make the water boil and moisten the wood thus loosening up the compressed part to it's natural state. Hope this helps.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Gotta go try that on a bass back home when I get there!
    I also 2nd the nail polish + clear polish. And another thing you can do if that's not an option, permanent marker.

5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Haha.. nothing says professional like sharpie!;) Wood putty also works if you sand it down and paint over it afterwards.
  6. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks for the tip; stole some black nail polish from my girlfriend , and topped it with some clear. Looks better.
    THanks guys