1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

scared about ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guyh27, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guyh27

guyh27

Feb 25, 2008
    So i'm new to this forum and i decided that the responsible thing to do before i go on trying to learn as much as i can on this site would be to read the FAQ section. i got to the portion discussing how much power your head should have in comparison to the cab and became a little worried. alot of people in that discussion agreed that your head should have 1.5 to 2 times the power that the cab is rated at. right now i'm running and ampeg svt-cl(300 rms) through an ampeg 410 hlf(500 rms). i know alot of people run this set up so i'm not too worried, but, from what i gathered from the thread in the FAQ, i could potentially damage the head or cab by trying to run the head at higher volume. is this true?

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    No. You can do no harm as you describe.

Unless you run the amp in such a way that the speakers audibly distort (like if you set the volume and bass and tone controls all to full), in which case you'll likely damage the speakers if you continue to do so.

There are also stickies and numerous threads describing impedance that you should read.

3. No.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is possible to damage your speakers by feeding them more power than they can handle. I'm not sure what the thread in the FAQ said, but you'd do well to search in this forum on the term "underpowering". It's a myth, but one that a lot of people believe and repeat on these forums.

Short version: your rig is fine, as long as the speakers themselves are not distorting you are doing no damage to them regardless of the wattage label on the cab or amp.

Note too that wattage ratings themselves are a bit mythical- they are to be looked at as general guidelines, not actual "law" about what amps and cabs will and won't work together.

5. guyh27

guyh27

Feb 25, 2008
    ok cool. thanks for the quick replies

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You'll be fine, just listen to your speakers and they'll tell you when it's time to back off. If they start to "fart out", that's sounding distorted or stressed, not clean, it's time to either back off the bass knob or the volume knob, that's all. Bill Fitzmaurice here has a good analogy, goes something like this:

Your car is capable of going 130 mph. That doesn't mean you travel 130 mph everywhere you go, that's power in reserve so you have a controlled, good ride at 70mph. Same goes for your amp. A 500 watt amp doesn't throw 500 watts at your speaker unless you have it cranked to 10, that's power in reserve so you can use a clean, controlled maybe 100 or 200 watts to get the volume you need and not distort when you dig into a note or do something that requires a short burst of higher power like slap. Underpowering is a myth, some will swear by it but it is a myth. The SPL and other ratings on speakers are taken with just 1 (one) watt of input, there is no such thing as underpowering, just means you're playing quieter.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Question asked and answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.