Scared as hell.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Guss, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Sometime after Christmas break, I will(hopefully) be performing for a large group of people for the first time. A whole auditorium full of high school students. Whoopee! I'm excited, but as the title says, scared as hell.
    I'm performing the Nirvana song "Polly" with my brother. There is no drummer needed in the song, which is why we chose it, since drummers are scarce.
    Of course there is just general nervousness, but also the fact that I have to hope for a worthy amp to perform with, and the fact that my brother(hate to say it) can't sing, at all. Period. Of course neither can Kurt Covain.;)
    I doubt a fifteen watt amp will ever be able to carry an auditorium, much less get past the middle rows. Oh God. I better use the bathroom before I perform.:(
    Just had to get that off my chest.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Playing anything larger than a bedroom with a 15 watt amp, yep, I'd be scared as hell too . . .
  3. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Relax. It will be fine. Know the material you are going to perform like the back of your hand and just have a good time. Trust me. The largest audience I've played for in a group is 100,000 people... granted I was a memeber of a 162-piece marching band... someone still notices if you screw up a move on the field (not so much with your playing though). Playing bass, I've played for 5000+ on several occasions. It's all about relaxing and just playing. Don't think about it.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Make sure you know it, and relax when you see you can pull it off no problem.

Go check out the places sound system, and see if there is any way to get into that. If not look around and see if you can rent/borrow anything.

5. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I used to get really nervous before shows..Heres what i'd do besides take a Xanax...
    Just mentally tell yourself that you're going to have a blast and that you're going to rock...If you know the song, which is a good song, by the way, then you'll be fine..I always go by a few second rule...once you're on stage and the first few notes come out, you'll instantly relax....
    Just have fun and do your best...The most important thing is that you have fun...

6. if its at a school, there should be a PA of some sort around there and you could mic your little amp. and pollys E-G-D-C structure isnt very complex, so you shouldn't have a hard time playing it. just dont even look at the crowd until you start playing, because once you start you calm right down and have a good time.

and kurt coBain could sing IMO.
  7. :(
    Well, I just got back from auditions. Sadly, polly's lyrics are not "school talent show friendly". I don't blame them though. Just look at the opening verse:

Polly wants a cracker

maybe I should get off her first.

I think she wants some water

to put out the blowtorch.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, well, you could always sing a song from pollyanna to sort of compensate. :)
  9. We're doing the macarena now.:eek:
  10. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Now you should be scared.
  11. HeyO! Macarena, a gustitania, alihenia
    HeyO! Macarena, carpathiatia, yogi bera!

HeyO! Macarena, Fieldyidia, andmarkushoppia!
    HeyO! Anybody knows that Petermcferrin is one smuggy basteria!

HeyO! Who-a-cara about dat Britteny Speara!
    HeyO! It's a crying shame dat she don't kna-howta-singa!

HeyO! Now you can't forgeta abouta Christina aguilera!
    HeyO! She still is not-as-hotta as dat Michael Jacksonia!

12. I'm proud of the above post. I have to keep this thread alive. Even if it means posting in my own threads, and responding to my own post. :D

13. That's cold. So utterly cold.;)
  14. I wonder when a moderater will come and close this thread for reasons of my stupid behavior. You know, posting in my own threads? Well hopefully when he closes it, he'll comment on my randition of the Macerana!:)
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh, I get the joke!

Wasting bandwitdh!

Very funny!

16. Get back to class, Nick.:p
    I'll stop the wastage.:)
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    My old band was named after that song....thus my name.... when i support, i might change it to polybass with one "L" seeing as how now i'm in a band that play alot of "poly's"..hehe. that was and still is a great song.
  18. Im one of those lucky ones who doesnt really get stage fright. I guess cause im confident in my skills as a bass player. Now when i sing thats a different thing. I just started singing at church while playing bass at the same time and im new at that. But once you get confidence its alot easier.
  19. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    i find that i'm very confortable in front of 10, or so, people. it makes me show off more, but in a good way, not in a "look at how fast i can play. i have never played a real gig, but hope to soon. then we'll see my stage fright come through :( ;)
  20. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    never had stage fright as long as i was doing something i tried my best at. I have played/sang lead in front of about 700 people a few times. And i cant say i was worried atall before i hit the stage.

Wheteher or not it aided my performance i dont know, a bit of adrenaline should do you good.