1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scared of lack of audience.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Greykiller, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Greykiller

Greykiller

Sep 2, 2008
    (Skip this if you want) I live in a small city in Canada. About 4 or 5 years back, before I even started playing bass, there was a punk scene going on here, but it disappeared and all we had was country bands. My band started up about a year ago, and not long afterwards some other bands started showing up. Most of them are indie rock/just plain rock bands, and there's a few metal bands here and there. Our city has a big country scene, and a big metal scene now (Touring bands and such), but there's no in between. So last night I got the idea that maybe we should head elsewhere. There is a large city nearby (About two hours drive) that I know has a larger music scene, and more people who listen to our kind of music. So I brought it up with my band, spoke to another band, and they're both into it and so we're gonna see about getting some other bands and getting a show together.

This is all fine, except I've put myself into the position of organizer. I've never tried to organize a show in my life, so I don't know anything about finding a venue, advertising, anything.

As far as I've decided, I figure I'm probably gonna get the bands together, rent out a hall or a church or something, try and split the costs even between the bands and then charge a fee to get in and try and cover the cost. My girlfriend said to me that when she lived there, she only went to a couple shows but she says there was one occasion where band members outnumbered the audience and the audience was all friends and family. I don't know if this was lack of advertising or what, but if any of you had this happen to you, what caused it? If you even know. I'm just really paranoid we'll spend money and time and find out that we should've stayed in town. (Also, what is expected of me if I'm organizing this thing? Just so I don't forget something.)

2. Maybe have a band from the area that's well known put on the bill. They should have a decent following, especially if it's at a venue they've played before. Just my two cents. Best of luck though.

3. Hi.

First of all, If You're non-recording unknown bands (in that town anyway), breaking even is an acchievement.

Huge + for networking and sharing the bill with a local act, that should ensure a good time for everyone at least. They should know the optimum size for the rent space too.

The problems can be usually summed to two main mistakes: #1 Lack of advertizing/promoting and #2 trying to compete with some "name act", whether knowingly or not.

BTW, since when the punk scene was about making money or the size of the audience?

Regards
    Sam

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    go rent "Heavy Metal Baghdad" and get back to us.