1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scared of the treble knob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Deacon, Aug 3, 2008.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    On my Sterling I am like, deathly afraid of the thing. Everytime I start turning it up, it just sounds to me like it is getting ice picky. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make this kitty purr? Well, growl?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I rarely have the treble on any of my basses (Fender P's Stingrays, Jazz style, etc.) rolled past 2 or 3.

I just don't like the sound when the treble is up.

If you don't like the sound of treble, keep it rolled off. Problem solved!

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    +1 Remember that Leo was deaf when he developed the Stingray pickup/preamp (which is very similar to the Sterling). If you are not deaf, you probably don't need to add any treble!

4. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    It's called a "bass", not a "treble".

If I want zing, I'll strike a cymbal or drink coffee.

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio

ZHahahahahhaa

6. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    sig'd

7. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I think Musicman basses (or at least my Stingray) are generally a bit sensitive to treble due to:

1) the pickup placement
    2) the lack of neck pickup
    3) the preamp (especially the active ones)

I really can't crank the treble on my Stingray and in fatc I often cut it below "flat." It's just to much zing and you have to consider that what one preamp has as a "flat" setting might not be atually be flat. I find all active EQ preamps to color the tone even when dialed in flat (this is why I prefer passive basses) and in my opinion all active basses record a bit harsh on the trebile side.

That said, I own an active Stingray and it kicks ass. It's not my main bass but it's the bass I could never sell and I've had it the longest. I boost the bass knob pretty high, run mids flat and cut the treble a bit and it sounds pretty full and rich and is probably the most clear sounding bass I've got. Most poeple love it when I bring it to a gig. It's not very versatile, but it's a sound that works in a lot of situations.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    If it doesn't sound good with more treble, don't give it. I had a Sterling and hated turning up the treble or doing anything but boosting the bass on it. Then again, I wanted a Precision, I just didn't know it yet.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    you dont want to "ADD" anything...

if you want more trebble, turn down the bass and mid, then you will have more trebble, you will have to turn up the volume and or gain to compensate for the CUT...

when you CUT you do not ADD noise, when you BOOST a level, you ADD noise / distortion

10. ????

:ninja:

11. MattChancellor

MattChancellor

Apr 17, 2008
    NV
    But I like the treble cranked to 9 though, it sounds nicer than a cymbal :(

12. ryla

ryla

Jun 17, 2004
    auckland new zealand
    I turn the treble right down on my Stingray, however on my Pedulla Thunderbass I have it up on 7 half the time as it sounds heavily present, not zingy horrible like the 'Ray, - treble setting depends on what axe your weilding at the time.

13. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    Turn the treble up full on the bass and tweak it down with the amp/preamp and see how it sounds.

14. I thought it was more about adding harmonics then distortion, unless you mean distortion in the very loose sense, like how tubes add distortion no matter how "clean" you might be running them.

I don't really understand why ANY piece of musical equipment boosts if that's strictly the case.

On topic, I used to hate my treble knob, I had an ATK with the stock pickup and it was very clicky, which added to me being mostly a pick player was pretty ******. With my new pickup it's alot less harsh, and is more of a clank control then a click control.

I don't really like turning mine down in most situations, I like a reasonably full range sound for most stuff, unless I'm messing about playing some dub or reggea or something. Although I don't like venturing into anything past 2k in any huge amount, just enough to get a decent full sound.

15. The Ray is pretty rich with treble as is. I can't really think of context where you'd want more. I don't think I've ever really boosted the treble. I tend to cut it more and play with the mids and bass frequencies.

16. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    On almost every brand of bass that I've owned...mostly Gibsons, Fenders and Peaveys, I had to boost the treble and bass to get the sound I was looking for. And it makes sense then, that every time someone has picked up one of my EBMMs to play it or check it out, they immediately dime the controls and it doesn't sound good. I've played with the eq controls on my EBMMs extensively and always end up back at 50-60% on the volume and a flat eq, making very minor adjustments from there.

17. Treble is turned down almost halfway on my bass (Ibanez ATK). It sounds pretty close to a stingray.

Bass and mids turned up a teeny bit.
    Its in the high pass filter switch position too.
    Its still a bit trebly though. But no where was trebly as it is when the preamp is flat.

18. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Wah wah wah we're all bass players afraid of tweeters and having any definition to our sound! ;)

I love treble. But on the ray with rounds on, I would always just turn it up slightly past flat. With flats and my new settings (keep bass at 75% Mids at about 40%) I treat the treble like a tone control where "dimed" is flat, then I roll off from there.

And I don't know how people play active basses flat. They sound so lifeless like that. And to Mr. "Don't boost anything," I would like you to meet the fantastic two-band boost only EQ that so many of us on here love designed by Mr. Roger Sadowsky...

19. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    If you still feel like you've gotta turn up the treble but are intimidated, maybe you should try nickel-plated strings. I think I know the sound you mean and a big part of it comes from using stainless steel strings.

Or a passive bass... The tone knob on my fender jazz is almost always 80% open or more

20. Are you using flatwound or roundwound strings?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021