Scarfing a lam neck....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by martinedwards, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Ok gang I know that for solid wood you cut at 12 or os degrees and line up so the join is about the second fret......

for a lam........

what about alternating the cut so that the lams aren't all cut at the same place.

let me try to describe.......
    centre lam as usual.
    next two out, the neck piece carries on through and the head piece comes up to join underneath.
    next two as the centre.

and so on ad nauseum.

Yes. clamping will be awkward, but surely it'll be much stronger than the usual scarf?

Anyone else thought about this or even tried it?

2. Gotta chalkboard? :confused:
  3. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    It wasn't so bad, I glued the neck joints onto the lams first then put it together :D

Unfortunately I got them a little out of line when I glued them up and it really showed up when I shaped the neck. If I hadn't alternated colors at the joint, you'd never notice.
  4. OK, now I get it...

But the whole idea begs the question - Has there been a problem with the regular scarf joint?. Because it looks to me like that is a whole lotta work to achieve something that doesn't need improving - at least for the reason of strength. And with that, the technique doesn't create the most visually appealing joint when using contrasting lams.

I gotta wonder what's really being "improved" here?
  5. I wasn't thinking about the colour change on each individual ply, so the stripes would continue through the scarf on my version...

as to the strength, I teach in a high school and in the last 4 years I've glued 3 split scarfs on guitars belonging to the music dept and another teacher.........
  6. What brand were these instruments? Those guys are either not doing it properly or the owners are massively abusing their instruments.
  7. one was an epiphone acoustic (owned by a teachers husband who claims it wasn't abused at all) the others were School knock abouts so yeah, they'd been to Hell & back!!
  8. OK, I can see from your perspective that there is something to be gained here. I've never really heard of one going bad naturally but there's a first for everything.