Scariest thing for an insecure bassist

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WashburnAB95, Dec 2, 2019.

1. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Nov 18, 2013
    For me it is this... When it is my job to hit the "one" perfectly every time while the whole band stays off of it. Normally I am okay in my execution but it seldom feels good LOL. I play by ear and react to everything around me.... so for me to play when nobody else is terrifies me!

When do your insecurities come out in a musical context?

2. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

Anything with a bass (and drum) intro. Fortunate Son, or Heavy Music, for example. Until that first beat hits, I'm metaphorically wetting myself. Once we're rolling, it's great. But those few seconds before we start...

timplog, Mr_Moo and Jurassic Thump like this.
  3. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    when the band invites one of their friends, who I don't know, up to play a few songs on bass, the dance floor instantly fills, and the band kicks ass. Not good for an insecure bassist, thought I was being replaced.

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    "White Rabbit" still give me the willies... I have to start it at the correct tempo. Then there's "Sweet Emotion", that bass intro has me nearly soiling my pants hoping to not screw up the Intro. ;)

Mr_Moo, John Swartz, TerenceE and 7 others like this.
  5. 46and2

46and2

Nov 12, 2017
    First band I have been invited to join. I recorded some poopy demo and sent it to them, BL wants me to join. But he doesn't have any recordings, chord charts, etc. to send me to practice first, just wants me to show up and work through it with the band. As someone who is overly insecure, I'm debating if I should even show up.

Mr_Moo, Volker Kirstein and dbase like this.
  6. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    The good side of that is if you can nail most of the songs they throw at you.. Your in the band.

mexicant, Mr_Moo and 46and2 like this.
  7. Bertr

Bertr

May 6, 2013
    Singer points at you out of the blue and shouts in the mic: 'Bass solo!!'

Alik, BritFunk, Goatrope and 11 others like this.
  8. marqueemoon

marqueemoon

Oct 8, 2019
    Singer starts a song with the capo on the wrong fret.

9. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I have the hardest time when I'm singing and playing, and I have to add the little comments singers add before a guitar solo or big change in the song.
    Example "Stick This In Your Fuse Box"
    on AC/DC Live Wire. I do em, but I do em my own way, because they just go against the rhythm I'm playing.

Mr_Moo and kesslari like this.
  10. Thorny1

Thorny1

Jun 16, 2019
    I feel most insecure about bass before and after gigs. I dont do small talk well at all, and I rarely drink, so schmoozing with folks before or between sets makes me want to scream. At the same time, it sucks sitting by yourself in a bar while the rest of the band is chatting it up. I get along with my bands quite well, so it's not a matter of a bad "hang", I'm just not a natural socializer.

On second thought, there is one tune that makes me sweat before I even start playing it, and that's Hysteria, by Muse. It's such a trademark bassline, and the song leans heavily on it, especially during the verses and intro. Tool and Lamb of God worry me less by a mile, and that's just wrong!

BritFunk, juggahnaught and Mr_Moo like this.
  11. kevindahl

kevindahl

Aug 21, 2006
    This reminds of a joke.

How do you get a bass player to turn down?

Tell him/her to take a solo.

I guess when you become more comfortable and confident you will relish those intros and breakdowns. Those are generally the moments I look forward to all night. What terrifies me more is not knowing the chords changes in a song. This will happen in open mics and jams if your band is hosting. The drummer can fake anything, boom tap, boom tap. The guitar player waits for the bass player to lay down the foundation. The bass player, well he/she can't hide or fake it and when the bass player doesn't know the song it's bad music.

12. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    This. A few years ago, I was on a gig where the set list called for us to go from some disco-like tune (can't remember the artist/title) at around 130BPM to Cream's "Badge" (1969). I can still remember the drummer glancing at me tauntingly as if to say: "YOU start this one, remember?"

Mr_Moo and dbase like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

when the cat opens the case and takes out an accordion! :D

fhm555, danesdad and Mr_Moo like this.
  14. eb3mike

eb3mike

Nov 5, 2010
    Not so much scary as annoying. Acoustic duo with 150 cover tunes on the set list. In a three hour gig with only one 10 minute break we may get through 40. Text to guitar player. Let me know what songs you want to play that we haven't played in a while. Nothing... then gig starts and he starts naming songs we haven't played in months. Get through it OK, but...!

15. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    We just added Blood And Roses to our set. Great song, greater bass line, but nothing to hide behind.

danesdad, Mr_Moo and Volker Kirstein like this.
  16. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I just had to do "What Christmas means to me" by Stevie Wonder and I start the song with a bass riff... I can never remember it until I hear the 1st note and then it comes to me like magic ... gets to be a pain in the ass when your live on stage.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz i support licensing Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    The Cure - Just Like Heaven
    Almost a phobia. I had to go back through a set list to make myself remember the name!!
    Played it a couple hundred times. Such a simple line, I really think I could play it with my feet!
    But, except for the baduppop on drums, it starts with me! And every time I'm like, "Oh sh*t, what's the pattern, how's it go?!?!?" I have to count it...One, Two, Three and Four.
    After that, it's mindless, I can just never "hear" it until it starts.

Alik and Mr_Moo like this.
  18. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    When I can't hear the guitarist is the worst for me. I can read the singer's lips, I can always hear the drums, but if I can't hear the guitar, I can feel the train about to wreck. :D

It's happened a handful of times (vocals only on the PA, or my monitor craps out mid-set/tune, or guitarist turns his cab away from the middle of the stage mid-song...o_O ), but it has a lasting less-than-positive impression when things loosen up on stage... :eek:

Pulverizor and Mr_Moo like this.
  19. So much this. I'm in a blues band and there are a few tunes where I have a solo worked out and it doesn't affect the groove of the song. However, there are certain songs we do where it is super essential that I keep a consistent groove and when the Lead throws me a solo during one of these songs I definitely feel the FEAR for a second. I usually just try to embellish the groove a bit so we don't train wreck.

fhm555 and Mr_Moo like this.
  20. I feared erratic drummers with big drum sets and bigger egos.

Mr_Moo and Bassman Spliff like this.