1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scarlett Solo & Audacity. Solved. Setup info inside

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kikegg, Apr 17, 2019 at 2:58 AM.

1. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi all,
    I'm in need of some advice/help as my first time with an audio interface. Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen.

Until now I've been using a "direct" connection from my Rumble 40 to the PC's line-in playbacking and recording with Audacity. The reason of using an audio interface is to be able to sing and play bass at the same time I playback a song. I'm not in need of a home studio or something else. Just basic play/record usage.

I was able to playback and record connecting all as follows but there some things I think I have to iron:

* Scarlett Solo to USB - Not using the back RCA outputs yet
    * Mic to Solo's Mic input
    * Amp headphones out (which was my old line-in input) to Solo's Intrument input
    * Line/Inst switch to "Inst" postition
    * "Direct Monitor" ON. It seem to be the only way to hear sound by headphones (???)
    * Headphones (I always use them to not to disturb at home) to Solo's headphones out

As I said before I use Audacity. It's simple and works fine for playing along and record my bass. I never cared about its config, sincerely, and I only tweaked the latency correction setting to match line-in recorded track to the "backing track" while playing them along.

I have some doubts about all this, so any help is welcomed!

Audio Host:
    Audacity shows three Audio Hosts: MME, DirectSound y Windows WASAPI. In Audacity's online docs it says it supports ASIO too but this does not show

Multi-channel Recording - Audacity Manual

So I left the default host "MME". It seems that, ASIO apart, WASAPI audio host is the best option due to low latency and record capabilities. I have to try it.

Am I doing it right? Should I get ASIO drivers too? All? None? Another option?

Input/Output:
    For Input Device I chose the "Focusrite Scarlett" device and for Output Device the default built-in audio device "Realtek...whatever". It worked but I'm not sure if is the best option. I've to test this more.

Playback:
    With the above configuration I was able to sing, play bass along the backing track. So far so good!

I noticed that only playing bass and singing thru the Solo interface was fine after some gain level adjustments, but when adding the backing track all sounded a bit blurry. I don't know if it's only a gain/volume adjustment issue or something wrongly configured.

Recording:
    With the above configuration, I started recording a song I know almost all its lyrics (Somebody to love cover by Ramones) pressing shift+R (record on new track) in Audacity. I saw voice on left channel and bass on right. Fine, but...

...when I playbacked the whole thing (backing + recorded tracks) I noticed the tracks out of sync, too much indeed. I remember I tweaked this a bit for line-in recording long long time ago and works perfectly for me and bass and backing track were finely sync'ed.

All said, I'd like to know if I'm using the interface correctly. I have no previous experience with them.

I was thinking about connecting the Solo's out RCAs to the computer's line-in (I bought a RCA to stereo mini jack too) to "keep" my old config but I don't know if it is a good idea. Any help/ideas here?

For the Audacity's recording latency issue, audio host and I/O devices configuration (Recording Preferences - Audacity Manual) is there any thing I should know or I could tweak for a latency-free (or almost free) setup? or simply a better setup? Drivers? I/O devices? Latency correction ms? Tips?

Thanks a lot for your help! Have a nice day!

2. Skammie

Skammie

Mar 31, 2019
    You probably want ASIO4all.
    You can grab a copy of the ASIO driver here:
    ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio

When you setup ASIO, after launching Audacity and setting it up to use ASIO, make sure you are only sending sound through your interface. The windows driver causes lag that will through you off your playing.

Kikegg likes this.
  3. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice, I didn't know about that. So, if I understand you right, I should use the "Scarlett" device for output instead the Realtek audio device. Fine. No access to the interface right now, I'm working. Any issues doing that? I mean, will Audacity still be usable to playback the backing track while using the Scarlett inputs?

Thanks a lot.

4. Skammie

Skammie

Mar 31, 2019
    I don't use Audacity, but to reduce latency to near zero you need to run a real-time OS.

Kikegg likes this.
  5. Skammie

Skammie

Mar 31, 2019
    I'm at work, too! Ha.

I have a Yamaha interface, and I use the outputs of the interface into my studio monitors. That way u can hear what I'm playing as I record. I use Studio One, myself. I do not use a mic at the same time, though. Never tried. I can't sing.

Kikegg likes this.
  6. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Well, I can't sing too much neither but as I do backing vocals I always like to doing them at home, but as you can imagine with headphones put on and no mic you can only try to scream and of course go out of tone quickly. I always have some disapproval comments from my wife and daughter telling me to stop doing that terrible singing :) :) :)
    That's what made me try an audio interface.

Thanks for your tips!

7. Skammie

Skammie

Mar 31, 2019
    Your Scarlett will probably show up in ASIO as a USB audio device.
    Install ASIO4all.
    Open Audacity, set it up to use ASIO instead if windows audio.
    The ASIO icon should show up in your taskbar. Right click it to setup the routing. Then go back to Audacity to test. If I remember, I'll take a look at Audacity when I get home. I have it but have rarely used it.
    I hope this points you in the right direction. I had a lot of trial and error with ASIO. At one time I had the audio out going through the interface and my sound card, and this caused a weird echo effect.

Kikegg likes this.
  8. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    You'll definitely want to get the ASIO drivers and use the Scarlett for both in- and output. Never, ever, use the built-in Realtek whatever and generally don't mix different I/Os (if you don't know what you are doing).

Kikegg, JMarkD and Skammie like this.
  9. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks. I'll take those steps and check. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try your advice. With those sound-studio thing I don't know what I'm really doing, that's for sure, he, he.

bholder likes this.
  10. Your connection from the amp to the interface is wrong. The instrument in (hi-Z) is meant to directly connect a guitar or bass to the interface without an amp. The input should have 1MOHM if set to Hi-Z or instrument. If you are using the headphone out of your amp (not recommended) you should connect it to a line in of the interface. Doesn't your amp have a DI out or line out? If not maybe try to connect the bass directly to the interface and use plugins later. What you're doing now is like going from the headphone out of a device into the instrument in of your amp. There will be a signal, yes, but... A headphone out and an instrument in are a total mismatch.

Kikegg, Skammie and bholder like this.
  11. Skammie

Skammie

Mar 31, 2019
    Hey man, got home to find that Audacity does not support ASIO out of the box. It appears that you can compile if from the source code with the ASIO SDK from Steinberg if you absolutely need to go with the freeware route. I have not tried it myself because, as I mentioned, I use Studio One.
    Audacity page with the relevant info.
    ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Manual

There is another free route you can take with windows. I know it works on win7 but I don't know if works on win10. You could grab a copy of Adobe Audition 3.0 from Adobe since they no longer support Creative Suite 2. It works with ASIO right out of the box. Follow the instructions in the link and use the registration code they provide. I wouldn't really rely on this old version of Audition for too long, though. Shop around and save up for a decent DAW.
    Download Adobe Acrobat 7 and Adobe Creative Suite 2 products

Kikegg likes this.
  12. Skammie

Skammie

Mar 31, 2019
    This. I missed that you weren't plugged directly into the interface.

Kikegg likes this.
  13. BwanaDust

BwanaDust Commercial User

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lincoln Learning Solutions - Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center
    You might have a better time if you try a different DAW. There are a few you can try for free.

As for your interface. Don't use ASIO4ALL as a driver. It's awful. You should use the focusrite ASIO driver.

rd2rk, Kikegg and Kickass like this.
  14. BwanaDust

BwanaDust Commercial User

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lincoln Learning Solutions - Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center
    There is an interface specific ASIO driver for all Focusrite products. That will work far better than ASIO4all

Kikegg likes this.
  15. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've been pretty happy with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (gen 1) and Audacity without messing with ASIO drivers. There is some latency, though, not sure, but it may be enough to mess with my (admittedly poor) timing. Been thinking of upgrading to the newer one, wondering if it's worth it or not.

Kikegg likes this.
  16. Skammie

Skammie

Mar 31, 2019
    I was unaware of the specific ASIO driver for Focusrite stuff. Ulf, check it out
    https://customer.focusrite.com/support/downloads

You may also benefit from installing the Focusrite specific driver. This should maybe help with your latency.

Kikegg and dheafey like this.
  17. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks all. I downloaded the Focusrite driver first as the quick guide says. I'll try another DAW, including the ones that you can freely download from Focusrite

18. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Yep, the Rumble has a XLR out connector. I don't have a XLR-Jack cable to connect to the Scarlett right now. Should this DI cable jack ending be a mono jack, right?

19. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Massachusetts
    As others have mentioned, start at the Focusrite site. Create an account, register your product (you will need the serial number), and you'll be eligible for all the downloads associated with that product. I also login occasionally to see if there's any updates.

Kikegg likes this.
  20. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Many many thanks to all, gentlemen!
    The Scarlett is running smooth like silk. Playback is flawless and now I'm adjusting the Audacity's latency compensation as my recording goes behind the backing track a bit.