scarry tech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by kip, Sep 19, 2004.

1. kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    I did some demo sessions lately, real barrel house stuff, just DB and a 100 year old upright piano, which was not only tuned low but also not much in tune with itself. needless to say, there's a lot of beats goin on.

A friend of mine says no problem, just run it through some sort of processer that corrects intonation. Now, I know you can raise and lower pitch of the recording as a whole, but what he indicated was that you can adjust each note. What's the point, why do I spend so much money on lessons and so many hours practising? Count me out.
  2. What he didn't tell you is that the processing will make your bass sound like Britney Spears. Seriously though, I wonder if people are using this technology to clean up their audition CDs. If they're not, they should be, and if they are it's scary. The live experience is where it counts though.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Nope, it (Antares AutoTune) only works on single notes, not chords, and it only works transparently if the note wasn't off by that much to begin with. And you have to use it in Manual Mode, not Auto, to get transparent results.

Otherwise it sounds like that damn Cher song.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Agreed. But if anyone uses this stuff on their audition CDs, somebody is in for a BIG surprise the first time they have to play live in front of those who had previously only heard said CD. I think the Karma works itself out in the end. :)

When we were mixing the new Java Men CD (clips will be on the Sampler page this week), I was listening back to one cut with the engineer, and we happened upon a serious intonation clam in my part. At the suggestion of the engineer, we spent about 20 minutes trying to get it better in tune using whatever plug in it is that does that. While the sound didn't grow large breasts or try to french kiss Madonna, it didn't really sound much like my bass, for the rest of the session, I just decided to leave the intonation treadmarks right there on my recorded Johnson as a reminder that I need to practice more.
  5. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I just recently did a record where they did use the "auto tuner" on the vocals in a few spots. And yea it was just a note here and there and they were only off by a hair. But the engineer said if it's a good take feeling wise he would rather correct it this way then punch in and risk losing the overall feel of the take. I also saw him move a bass note over a little when I was just a tad late on an ending. This was all done in Nuendo (simaler to pro tools). Technology has come along way since the old tascam 4 track I use to use.