Scary Ampeg/Hartke combination, but will it work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fender32, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    The attached thumbnail is an "artists" impression of what my stack might look like when it's finished.

I already have the Hartke XL115 cab and the Ampeg SVT Pro4 is in the post as we speak. Problem is, I don't know what I should add to these two components. :confused:

I was thinking of getting a Hartke XL2.5 (I really like the clarity of their aluminium cones), mainly because it's lighter and more compact than a 4 x 10. That is until I put together this picture to see how it would look. I'm gonna have nightmares about this evil looking stack (especailly if I eat too much cheese before going to bed)! ;)

So, :help: me out please? Anyone got anything similar or any views on the pros/cons of this rig? I'm looking for a clear translation of the Ampeg warmth/growl, using Stingrays and Precisions in a rock/indie context.

(P.S. Please don't tell me to sell the Ampeg and buy a GK, it's way too late for that). :)
  2. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Well if it's any help to you, I used to use an SVT2pro with 2 Hartke 4.5XL's . A combination that I think is flexible and more than able to scare off Mr 5150 on the other side of the stage. The only downside is that this config' is a lot of weight to be carrying round!! Given the dropping prices of the 4.5xl cab (which incidently has far more bottom end than the 115xl - which I sold for the 2nd 4.5xl) I would be inclined to go down that route. Only my thoughts, but it was a great setup.
  3. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
  4. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Once you get over the transportation issues, an XL 2.5 with an XL 215 would be MY choice. I use an XL 4.5 with an XL 215 and I now realise I don't need the other two 10" al cones to get the sound. My second favorite head is the same as yours and they play well together. When I think (usually wrong) I need the extra aluminum in the sound, I biamp with a Crate Blue Voodoo (I know, I am an idiot) and turn the Ampeg down some. The reverb from the VooDoo sounds great on the 4.5. I think your 115 and a 210 would be great all the way around. Save some wear and tear on the body at the same time. :p
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I think you should get TWO 2.5XLs and two 115XLs. Run one off each channel of the ampeg (490 watts @ 4 ohms).

That would be cool!
  6. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :( Yeah, but have you seen the attached .jpg? I couldn't go into the practise room alone with two of those "beasts" glaring at me (far too intimmidating). ;)

Seriously though, as I said in the previous post, I've taken the XL115 back now and exchanged it for an XL410 (wish I could have got the XL4.5, but the shop's patience was running thin and they didn't fancy ordering me one).

Maybe, when the cash flow situation rights itself again, I can add two more XL115s and an XL4.5 (that should be fun). Just need someone to carry it all now! ;)
  7. i think you are going to be fine with that rig! i remember the bassplayer from throwing muses(remember them?)having an svt-2 and a 410+115 hartke stack.
    he played with a p-bass and had a killer tone!
  8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I use a 115xl with a 2.5xl (and a Hartke 5000 head) - the rig works great, I can recommend the cab combination for a "clear translation" of whatever you put in. I also have a 210xl and like "thedoctor" posted above, I find I rarely need to use the extra two 10" drivers. I also find the 115 sufficient, never thought about going with a 215. So yeah - 115xl with 2.5xl sounds spot on to me, go for it.

EDIT Sorry, just noticed you've gone for a 410xl. STOP! Get the 115 back straight away. You'll be sorry...!!

(Just kidding - don't let me bring the nightmares back)