Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SCARY bass!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Aug 7, 2005.

1. This whole War of the Worlds thing got me listening to the old Jeff Wayne lp again, and I have to say Herbie Flowers bassline under the 'unscrewing' bit (if you've heard it you'll know) is one of the most unsettling thing's I've ever heard!

Anyone else know of a similarly powerful bassline? We clearly have the power to terrify. If only we weren't such pleasant people. :)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Black Sabbath.
    The bass duet on Ascension.
    Etc.

3. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    John Wetton's playing on some King Crimson tunes could be really scary. "Providence" comes to mind.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, the only true example I can think of right now is "Starless" by King Crimson. You know what part I'm talking about...

The entire Doom Metal genre has some creepy bass, but creepy bass usually has creepy atmosphere around it. Guitar/Keys.

5. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Yep, I know the part exactly. "Fracture" is no slouch either...

KinK, funny but I didn't notice your name when I posted my reply.
    For some truly scary crap, listen to Univers Zero, especially the album "Heresie". Just don't listen to it with the lights off or if you are contemplating life after death.

6. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    White Noise...'An Electric Storm in Hell' ...at the start of the track the two organ bass notes are awesome.

Fallon.

7. Corwin

Corwin

May 8, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Magma. Pretty much any Magma, but let's go ahead and pick "De Futura" as a high point, at least as far as 'basslines most likely to devour the Earth' go.

8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Yeah Baaayyybaaaay!! I LOVE Magma, especially that album and the live one!

Also, if you want creepy and scary, though I'm not a Bauhaus fan by any stretch, "Double Dare" is about as unsettling as it gets (they seemed to like Can a lot).