1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scary Buzzing Noise

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Dr_Atomic, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I just got a bass I recently bought back from the shop where I was getting a new set-up done. They gave me a new tailpiece, new bridge, and cut back the fingerboard to a C#, as well as putting on my new strings. Everything is great BUT there is this freaking huge buzzing noise whenever I play the A string that wasn't there before. The guys in the shop didn't know what was making the noise, and suggested I bring it back to the place I bought the bass and ask them to figure it out.

Is it possible that the bass is just acclimating to the new set-up and that the noise will go away? Or might there be a bigger problem here?

The bass is Milanese and was built in 1913. Great bass, and I had no issues with it when I bought it about 3 weeks ago.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    If the scary buzzing sound is on the open string then they probably just cut the nut slot a bit low. Easy to correct.

3. Yes, it's essentially just on the open A and the A harmonic on the A string. You can hear the buzz a little bit on the D string, too.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Also, check the springs on your bridge, after I messed with the bridge once on my johnson P bass (first bass) I got a similar buzz, i think on the same strings. I moved the spring a little bit and eventually got the buzzing to cease.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Slip a little paper under the string at the nut. If that corrects it you'll know it's too low.

6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    You're on the wrong side of the forum, friend. There are no springs in a double bass bridge.

7. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Only an occasional fall ;)
    -J

8. I guess I need to bring it back to the shop and tell them that they need to fix whatever it is that's buzzing. There was no buzz when I bought it, and my teacher checked it out and didn't find anything wrong with it, which leads me to believe that - in the process of the set-up - something came loose inside the bass.

I took out such a massive loan to buy this bass, and now I can't even play it. And they knew that there was a problem with the bass when they returned it to me and did not try to fix it. My frustration level has really never been so high...

9. this morning, the buzz is worse than it was yesterday. now i can't play any of the strings without a huge buzzing noise. i don't know what they did to my bass, but i'm bringing it back to them and they're going to figure it out and fix it. if it had sounded like this when i was initially looking at it, i obviously wouldn't have bought it, so they need to fix it and lend me something of comparable value until it's fixed.

i have 3 auditions in october/early november, 2 masterclasses, and an obligation to my school to be able to play bass - part of my scholarship to my university is dependent on my playing bass so i have to be able to play. moreover, i get paid for certain performances at school, and i can't lose that money because i need it to help pay off the loan for the bass!!

to all you repair-shops out there: if the bass isn't in the same or better quality after the repair as it was before, please FIX IT - don't return people their basses in an unplayable condition!

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Doctor, the reason I'm a repairman today is because I got tired of paying good money for sub-standard work and decided to do something about it! :)

You probably shouldn't have accepted the bass or paid for the work if it was not satisfactory. Be sure to let the shop know what your expectations are in terms of the outcome for your instrument. And get some recommendations for a better shop....

11. Hey all, brought it back today and they figured out the problem.

See the picture below... The crack at the bottom of the f-hole on the left side of the bass is open. Also, the point on the f-hole is touching the wood on the opposite side which is making the buzz resulting from the open crack even louder. Hard to explain, but look at the picture and you will see what I'm talking about.

We'll see tomorrow if this solves the problem! Hope so, this is a great instrument.

12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Who's doing the work?