Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

scary fact about Dan Erlewine's fretting basics video

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wilser, Aug 24, 2005.

1. I was just watching the video and at about 1:08:30 or so, I noticed the dude's got his fly open!!! I guess he was in a hurry to finish the fret jobs ...not that I was looking, though :rolleyes:

2. Oh yeah, that was the quick edit right after the fretbender incident. :eek:

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Having not seen the video, I was afraid you were going to say something about Mr. Erlewine suggesting that you finish the frets with an angle grinder or chainsaw or something.

I had a momentary flash of panic.

4. Thats funny!! If I ever make an instructional video I'm going with my fly open the whole way. Maybe some food stuck in my beard too.

5. I've never met the man, and I don't know if he's like that in real life, but damn he was uptight all the way ...seemed like he had that big leveling tool up his butt. Great content and delivery, though! Don't get me wrong, I highly recommend the video. It just feels like the guy is the instructor nazi or something, should have been a little more playful and natural.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sounds like typical Type A Perfectionist, to me. I imagine that's exactly why he's considered an expert in the field.

I want playful, I'll get a Robin Williams* dvd. ;)

*Not really--I just can't think of anybody better right now.**

**Ooooooooh, howabout Jennifer Alba? Yum..... :D

7. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Though I don't know any Type A Perfectionists who would let an open fly shot slip into their instructional videos. ;)

'rick

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, I was hoping no one would notice that crucial flaw in my theory. :spit:

9. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Weren't counting on a perfectionist reading the thread, eh? :) (Check my .sig! :p )

'rick