Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

scary problem with my set up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by a e i o u, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Here is a little background first. I play bass in my bedroom with my bass amp head into my bass cab. I also play my guitar through my guitar amp head into my bass cab. This has been working out ok for bedroom use up until today. Today when i put down the bass, I unpluged everything and switched it so i could play my guitar amp into the bass cab. Now all of a sudden I get no sound or anything. I could take the cable out of my guitar jack and i wouldn't even get a popping sound. I did how ever get a popping sound when taking the cable out of the actual amp. I tried plugging my bass amp back in and everything and the same thing happened. i took the cable out of the bass and got no popping sound or anything. I rubbed the tip of the cable on some metal stuff and it didnt make any weird noise like it should, but if i rubbed the sides of the cable where that ring around it goes, i got a faint sound. I am hoping so bad that this is just a freak dead cable accident and has nothing to do with my amps instruments or cab. plllease help me here. if you need any more info ill tell you :crying:

2. i took another look around. on my cable, there is a hole with a bucnh of frayed copper wire sticking out. i think this is probaly the root of the problem. i have no idea how it suddenly ripped like that. the copper isnt cut in half though, its just exposed and mangled. i would think seeing as it looks still connected that current could still flow through though. :eyebrow:

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    IME, 9 times out of 10 the "no sound" problem is caused by a faulty cable or a dead battery.