Scary, Scary Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Continuing an annual October tradition here, I would like to mention a few CDs featuring Halloween mood music and hope you all will chime in with your personal favorites and recommendations.

Halloween: : Mannheim Steamroller

This is the most "unscary" of the CDs here. It might be suitable for parties and small children who are scared by moodier, atmospheric music. It isn't MS's best album or anywhere near it, but it has its moments. is 2 Cds of songs.

Scary Muisc: Danny Elfman
    Much of this Cd features well known frightening songs, many are from contemporary movies.

Chiller: The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra , Eric Kunzei conducting

More traditional and classical selections often associated with Halloween such as Danse Macabre and In the Hall of the Mountain King.

Halloween Big Screen Thrillers:

Famous movie themes such as "The Shining" and "X-Files." Well orchestrated; not the originals, but darned close.

Fright Night: Things That Go Bump in the Night:

Prestigious orchestras playing well loved, classics for Halloween such as "Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor."

Classics from the Crypt:

Some of the same prestigious orchestras play some of the same well loved Halloween classics, plus a few other Halloween "hits". These albums overlap, but either one is good by itself.
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I remember a vocal trio (i believe it was hendricks, lambert, ross, but i never have really listened to vocal music) doing a halloween tune where each of them mimicked a certain character of halloween (zombie, witch, mad doctor, leprechaun, etc.) I really just remember cracking up, especially when the "zombie" was gargling and choked on whatever he was gargling on.
  3. Boplicity

That sounds like something Hendricks, Lambert and Ross would have done. It also sounds very cool and very appropraite for Halloween.

My first grade teacher used to play "Danse Macabre" for us and have us draw pictures to it. It would be fun for kids to draw to the song you desribe, too.
  4. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Umm...Anything by Danny Elfman?

Also, Death Cube K is absolutely great for being creeped out. It just sounds like noise until you listen to it alone in the dark. Absolutely outstanding.

The three Death Cube K albums are:

5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Eh,, Sol Niger Within Version 3.33 by Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects is a killer Halloween cd. Quite brutal, but also haunting at times.
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Check out the score to the movie "Signs". Very atmospheric and creepy!!

Love Danny Elfman's stuff!! Sleepy Hollow and Nightbreed are great!!
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Gee, all I have is "The Thrilling, Chilling Sounds of the Haunted House" from Disney...on vinyl.:bawl:
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The scariest album I've ever heard was by the group (person?) called Whitehouse. It was not scary in a fun way. It was scary in an Ed Gein way. I have pretty tough ears as far as abrasive music goes, but this was too much even for me.

Most of the scary stuff I have is in the category "dark ambient"... I wouldn't exactly call it Halloween scary, it's just regular scary. :)

Pretty much anything by Painkiller
    Techno Animal (early albums)
    Lull, "Continue"
    The later Scorn albums (trip hop, not metal) are creepy
    Bill Laswell and Nicholas James Bullen, "Bass Terror"
    Svasti-Ayanam, "Sanklesa"
    Our Glassie Azoth, "Euterpe Sequence"
    Wolffe and Hennings, "Tibetan Bells II"
    Somei Satoh, "Mandara Trilogy"
    "Isolationism", 2CD compilation
  9. any album by fantomas

s/t: 30 tracks, 45 minutes of insanity
    directors cut: covers of soundtracks such as the godfather, rosemary's baby, charade, bunch of horror movies
    delerium cordia (spelling?): will be released this month, one track one hour of insanity

oh yeah, and anything by abba scares the pants off of me!
  10. Boplicity

Yeah, me, too. They do inspire even more horror than "Night on Bald Mountain." That gives me an idea. Maybe if I play Abba, it will keep too mnay trick or treaters from coming to the extent that I run out of candy.:eek:
  11. Zillium

May 27, 2003
    Coil - The Unreleased Themes For Hellraiser
    It's pretty creepy stuff. It was rejected by the studio that produced the movie.
    Clive Barker is quoted on the cover saying, "The only group I've heard on disc whose records I've taken off because they made my bowels churn."

12. [homer simpson voice] hmmmmm churning bowels [/homer simpson voice]
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - As that piece is about a Witches' Sabbath and their Pagan rites - it is very appropriate music for Halloween!! ;)

Also appropriate would be Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique which has a Witches' Sabbath and a musical recreation of a Black Mass with a distortion of the Dies Irae!!

That's the last movement :

"Songe d'une nuit du Sabbat"

Also - Baba Yar from Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" - is about the Witch whose hut moves about on enormous Chicken's legs.

I find the Catacombs most scary from that piece though - but that's because I have actually been in the catacombs in Leningrad that this was written about and it was one of my most scary experiences - narrow dark, dank corridors underground, with mummified monks at every corner!! :meh:
  14. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Poison - Unskinny Bop is a damn scary song.
  15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Anything with "bop" in the title is scary.

Hanson: Mmm, Bop.
  16. Nothing says "Come in, have fun, eat my entrails, rock out." Like Danzig-era Misfits.
  17. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Naked City - "Leng T'che"
    Tartaros - "The Red Jewel"

Still, IMO Bach's organ pieces take the cake.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know this sounds weird, but Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" can be really creepy.

Try that song in your car doing 25 through the mountains in the dark, and you're the only car on the road. It kinda becomes the Uber Creep.
  19. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Tin Hat Trio.

Nils Petter Molvaer, "Khmer" and "Solid Aether."

Wendy Carlos' and Gyorgi Lygeti's music for "The Shining."

Anything from George Crumb.

Anything from Portishead/Beth Gibbons.
  20. Boplicity

:rolleyes: :D :D