Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scary stuff!! (N. Korea ballistic nukes)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Feb 13, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63598-2003Feb12.html

N. Korea Missile Can Hit U.S., CIA Says

I'm not printing the article here, you can go read it at the link.

Granted the long range missile is untested and might not work but it damn well could work. I know there are other countries that have nukes pointed at my country and this information about N. Korea isn't exactly brand new but in light of the recent statements from N. Korea that ANY UN sanctions would be considered an act of war <?!?> I feel like this is the first time that we've had a real madman pointing nukes at us. Kinda gives me the chills.

I feel like this is just a small taste of how the people of South Korea (and maybe to some degree India and Pakistan) must feel all the time. Sorry if I'm overlooking any other countries that are under real nuclear threat by someone who might actually USE nukes in a first-strike situation. Maybe Kim isn't really as mad as he seems and he wouldn't really do this (as he would be and already has been wildly condemned by the rest of the world) but he sure puts up a convincing front.

brad cook

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It says you have to register to get that link so I haven't read it!

But the BBC News was showing film from North Korea last night and pointing out that they are so short of power that they can't light the streets at night or keep power going for refrigerators in shops.

So they are so poor they are not going to waste resources on war and what they need is nuclear power to produce electricity - urgently!

I think that the detractors are just pushing anti-communist propoganda - haven't they realised yet that communism is no longer a threat!! :rolleyes:

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You don't have to register. It just asks you to fill in a little survey sometimes (birth year, country etc..) before it will take you to the link. Try it again.

So do you believe that all the media outlets of the world just made up the statement by N. Korea that they would consider sanctions an act of war which justies preemptive strikes on American and S. Korean forces? I suppose they also made up that story about how they kicked out the UN monitors and disconnected the surveillance cameras as well. That would be a heck of a conspiracy! I don't think it's communism that really bothers anyone anymore. I think it's the repressive, dictatorship which holds it's own people as starving prisoners and continues to threaten other countries that really gets under the skin. Or maybe it's the thought of one man of questionable mental stability aiming nukes at surrounding countries. Even N. Korea's closest ally, China, appeared to be somewhat distressed by N. Korea's latest actions.

Yes, the people of N. Korea need aid. There are starving people there but you must ask "Are their latest actions the best way to address those social issues?" Absolutely not!

Another question that is begged here is "How much money are they spending on military (including the million-strong army) that they could be spending on getting food to the people?" Sorry for the somewhat scattered response...I'm just throwing some things out here as they come to mind!

brad cook

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    To clarify...

What they're saying is that North Korea have nuclear missile with which they can hit America... from Korea?

What is becoming of the world. Why are we doing this to each other? :(

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    It's a shame they have wasted and continue to waste their resources to fund their militarism instead of feeding and providing infrastructure for their population.

I read when I was a full time spook that NK kids in junior high age compete in mortar drills as sport as we would play rugby or football.

Odd sense of priorities.

If they would simply give in to reality of the modern world there would be peace on the Korean peninsula. I would love to see the 2nd ID vacate the DMZ. If the North Decided to "overrun" the South the world would just watch and say "OK, now what?"

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Sorry, which country's government are you referring to?

:)

7. I don't think it is scary. The US has a lot more nuclear weapons that N. Korea will have in the foreseeable future. I believe that they have at most 2 plutonium based weapons.

I think N. Korea is looking for political legitmacy.

What would they gain by launching these missiles? No one would support them after that.

Geoff

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the BBC report from inside North Korea was saying that was total rubbish - depends who you believe?

9. Blah, blah, blah. This would be modded down "-1 Disingenuous" on Plastic.

Differences of degree matter. I'm gonna throw the :rolleyes: at you on this one.

10. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    The smug guy makes a good point re: degrees of militarism and domestic inaction, but I was thinking the same thing as you Moley.:)

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    North Korea

Sorry it may not have been clear.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I was only kiddin' Pete, hence the smiley :)

I just saw Zulu's post start "It's a shame they have wasted and continue to waste their resources to fund their militarism" - and I couldn't resist :D

I wasn't actually trying to make a serious point really, no need for rolleyes :cool:

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Unsubstantiated premise indicator: I think N. Korea is looking for political legitimacy.

The question then is - what would they gain toward political legitimacy by launching missiles?

Nothing, would be my answer. I see the question as rhetorical.

However, you can't substantiate NK's seeking to gain political legitimacy based on the fact that it's what you think.

I think kicking out inspectors, removing monitoring equipment, kidnapping Japanese citizens, and what they did to a downed OH-51D pilot back in 1994 (if I recall the correct year), demonstrates a stronger indication that they have no concern for gaining political legitimacy in the near term anyway.

14. I did say I think, you can rip it apart if you want I really don't care. I didn't say, I think therefore it is the truth. I base it on the fact that countries often see nuclear weapons as a way of gaining power, or taking it from other nations. Look at how muck power the US lost when the USSR detonated its nuclear weapon.

You really think that they gain nothing? Why have nuclear weapons then? Why have an army? All of these things are to protect a nations political legitimacy, to protect their sovereignty.

I also never stated that they were going to get legitimacy by launching missiles, as you nicely put into my mouth. The capability of launching the missiles is what could give them more political legitmacy. When they speak, they want people to listen.

Of course this is speculation, but so is everything that you posted.

Geoff