Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scat Singing

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jan 16, 2003.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Is scat singing dead? I haven't heard too much if it lately, however, I could be looking in all the wrong places. Are there any newer recordings featuring scat solos/singers?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I scat sing. And my recordings are new.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's good to know. :D Got any samples? Friend who do?

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Nah, I've not got any samples at this time.

Actually, I agree with you, there should be more scat singing! There's one I really like from Blow Your Mind (Jamiroquai), where Jay scats along with the mute trumpet solo.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Lucky, seeing as I already like Jamiroquai. What album is that on? (The only one I have is Traveling w/o Moving.)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Something about scat leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, not TWENTY MINUTES after starting this thread... ;) ah well, I knew someone was bound to mention it sooner later.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oteill still scats along with his solos sometimes. See Bass Day '98.

brad cook

9. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Check out Roy Ayers and George Benson- all though
    they are old guys they have done some newer stuff like with house producers Masters at Work.... Check out the Nuyorican Soul album which also has some astounding piano/bass/drums/percussion/guitar playing as well as Mr Ayers doin his scat'n'vibes thing......

Oh theres also scatman John but havn't heard from him in a while!!!!

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, we aim to please!

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It's on 'Emergency On Planet Earth' - their first one. It's a real good album, you should get it if you like Jamiroquai.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :confused:

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have an old VHS recording of a show off of BET Jazz. A lady there does a song called "Footprints" and does a beautiful scat solo at the beginning. I also remember another performance where a great jazz guitarist scats along to his own playing

I also I'm a sucker for scat.

And you could always check out Scatman. Anyone else remember this dude?

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Scatman John? I remember that pop stuff he did back in the mid 90s. He's dead now.

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'll PM you...

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Patty Austin has just released a tribute to Ella Fitzgerald on which she scats. When I think of scat thinking I do think of Fitzgerald who had an uncanny ability to improvise with instrument-like sounds and precision.

I do remember watching her on TV when I was a child and confess that at the time I did not appreciate her flights into scat-singing. I often wished she just stick to the song, because she was such a great jazz singer. Now, however, I have a much greater appreciation of the skill required to do a decent job. Still, I maintain a bias toward preferring to hear an instrument other than the human voice doing improvisation. Nonetheless, at least now I do appreciate the talent and skill it takes to scat well.

Check out Patty Austin's record to see if she is in a league with her idol or if she brings anything new to scat-singing.

Oh, when I was a kid, there was a male jazz singer who did excellent scats, too. I can't think for the life of me who it was. Louis Armstrong did some, but not to the extent of Ella. Maybe it was Billy Eckstein. I'm not sure. It may have been Mel Torme. See, I can't even remember which race. Anyhoo, scat-singing was much more popular in the fifties than now.

17. Scat singing's fun, Ella Fitzgerald, I think, is one of the best scatters ever.

On a complete unrelated note, I've just decided that Scatastrophe would be a great name for a band.

18. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey there is this great cover of I Got Rythm by John Pizzarelli. He does the best scat singing I have ever heard. It is with his guitar solo in it, definantly check this out.
    I am not a fan of Oteils, he seems to be alittle off pitch sometimes.

19. john teh skat mans dead??~?? how did he die?~??