Scenery chewing vocals

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by consectaneus, Jan 18, 2022.

1. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    So I'm taking an expression from the acting world that describes over acting. What inspired this is hearing Tom Jones "Delilah" on the radio this afternoon. I never noticed it before but man, does he "emote" on that one. It's campy actually.

Vanilla Fudge is another one that comes to mind---"and there ain't nothin' I can do about it". You just keeeep meee hangin' oooooo o onnnnn.

When does selling a vocal cross the line to over the top?

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Any time you fail to sell it.

Pilgrim, gebass6, Novarocker and 19 others like this.
  3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I know when "Job for a Cowboy" was all the rage. Man, I'm showing my age. Anyway, on their first EP the singer was accused of showing off, and well, he did. Is there a vocal counterpart to shredding? Whatever it is, that's what I would call chewing the scenery...

4. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Thinking about it, Janice Joplin got away with murder---and I like her! She did her thing and people expected it and would be disappointed if she didn't scream until she was hoarse.

But "Me and Bobby McGee"? How did she go from Kristofferson's heartfelt and poignant storytelling lyrics to that ending? That building crescendo of na na nas and "I said I called him my lover said I called him my man" B3 swirling away...whooooooooo! Hey hey hey...Bobby McGeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Crazy, but who else could do that.

5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I think it crosses the line when it seems that the singer is only doing it to compensate for a lack of real skill.

It's Patti LaBelle's schtick to "chew the scenery," but she can easily tone it down and still be a great singer.

Wasnex, MattZilla, design and 5 others like this.
  6. She's supa freaky, yow!

Gotta have it......

7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Very, very often in my opinion. A lot of people over-sing. It's pathetic.

8. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    There are people out there like Patti who just can't be touched. She can do whatever she wants and it's all good, because she knows how to sell the feel. That's what matters.

She's a pro, and a lot of people out there singing are not pros but they think they can do that.

JRA, Williethump, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    While I'm sure I can come up with better examples, a quick brain scan produced this:

By the end of this song I don't want to ever hear about his bad feeling again.

Brilee, sawzalot, MattZilla and 3 others like this.
  10. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    And that's the problem with something like singing. Because it's subjective, people can talk themselves (and let friends talk them into) thinking they're good. It also doesn't help that so many mediocre singers have become stars.

Say what you will about sports, but you can think you're an NBA-caliber player until you take your lil' sorry behind out on the floor and get destroyed. Subjectivity or opinion will NOT get you on an NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS or NFL roster!

Eli_Kyiv, mikewalker, TyBo and 2 others like this.
  11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    People aren't honest. It's hard to be honest. At what level do you burst someone's bubble? I know singers who are pitchy and shrill but if they sing the right kind of song to a drunk enough audience they get huge accolades on the strength of a couple of sustained notes at the end. And I suppose if everyone had fun that night, it's not my place to say "well, but..." to anyone.

I guess if there's hard money riding on it, you can't afford to not be honest. But if it's someone in a local pub living out their adolescent fantasy, just let it ride. But yes, it does give some people an exaggerated sense of what they're bringing.

12. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

Yep. And that's why our TV is always muted for any singer before a sporting event.
    I'm too old to have to put up with such annoyance.

13. George Thorogood and others of his ilk.

I'm not sure when people decided that blues had to be sung in a rough growly voice. Even the old cats that sang that way used the growl sparingly for effect. I used to hear it a lot, mostly at blues jams by guys that were not serious musicians but just liked to get up and blast thru a 1-4-5 change, spewing as many notes as possible on their solos.

We referred to this as "biker blues".

14. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I will always love yo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-u.

But there's a long trad, and in rock, from Li'l Richard to Daltry, Plant to Rose, Cornell, etc. ...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  15. I'm only here to compliment the photo of kira

JRA, fclefgeoff, lermgalieu and 2 others like this.
  16. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    When some dude sings "looooooonatic."

17. I dig Patty!!

FilterFunk and 5StringBlues like this.

18. A force of nature.

FilterFunk and dbsfgyd1 like this.
  19. Every time Bon Jovi opens his mouth?

20. MustangWally

MustangWally Inactive

Feb 5, 2019
    San Marcos TX
    There is a guy here in town, Joey Fender, who I caught at a couple blues jams recently and he is definitely a scenery chewer but in a very good way - the man is a total showman with guitar chops to match his vocals. When he fronts the band he takes them with him and he really commands attention, fantastic frontman.

mikewalker and TyBo like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022