Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scenes from an Italian Restuarant

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 9, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've been listening to some Billy Joel tonight, and I must say, this song has me floored. I think it's going to take the place of my favorite Billy song, New York State of Mind.

Everything about this song seems to be genius. He definatley paints a mental picture with both the lyrics and music. I've always had a deep connection with music, but it's not often that I "Totally get it" with a song, but I definatley do with this tune. Some very tasteful bass playing in it also.

Opinions?

2. It never struck me as anything special, but it's been a while since I've heard it. I'll have to check it out again.

I do remember some very tasty bass work, though. At least on his classic '70s material, Joel had excellent tastes in arrangements.

3. dig that walking line on "only the good die young." it don't quit.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Good song.

Not my favourite Billy Joel song - but a very good one.

I like his lyrics - the story about Brenda & Eddie.

If you're getting into Billy Joel - can I suggest you check out his 1982 album "The Nylon Curtain" (if you haven't already). Great stuff - a lot more intense than his more poppy earlier stuff.

But I love Billy Joel, I've got all twelve of his studio albums.

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I love that tune, and the bass line (with tuba!). I did a little digging, and the bassist on "The Stranger" was a guy named Doug Stegmeyer. There are a coupla rhythmic clams that would never make it on the final cut today, but man, I dig that '70s farty tone. Neck pickups are for p#$$ies. :)

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Check out the sig. ;)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LMAO@farty tone! :D

But - yeah, I like Stegmeyer's playing - I believe he was in Billy's regular band - and played on all those era albums (Turnstiles, 52nd Street, Glass Houses, The Nylon Curtain, An Innocent Man etc.). I'll check when I get home.

Nice walking lines, too, on "Zanzibar" (from "52nd Street").

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Actually, you've inspired me 'Chuck. I reckon I might go with some Billy for my next title/avatar/sig combo.

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ahh...great song! Billy Joel was really the first music I got into. Great times! Hmm...now to go find that Greatest Hits album I lost long ago...

10. I think he's kind of an under-rated song writer. I loved "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant". Others off his greatest hits, which I think are just genius, are "Allentown" and "Goodnight Saigon".

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Word!

Those are both from "The Nylon Curtain".

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Agreed, Goodnight Saigon is one of those tunes that really moves me, and I wasn't even born when Vietnam was happening. Guess, it shows how powerful a piece of music is.

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What'd I tell ya? :D

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hehe that makes me get out the albums! Some other great players were from early elton john! Tumbleweed connection is a great album. Aslo crosby stills and nash/young.