Scent of a Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by seamus, Feb 19, 2002.

1. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Anyone else ever get a new bass, and the case has a really sweet vanilla type smell to it? I'm wondering where this scent comes from. It sticks to the bass too.

One of my L-2000's still has a sickening sweet vanilla scent in the case and on the bass itself, and it's nearly a year old now. Not that it's entirely unpleasant, just strange since I don't know why.

2. FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I have always wondered why the inside of guitar cases smell the way they do. And it doesn't matter which company, they all smell like that. Maybe it is certain type of fiber they use....
  3. The laquer on my Ric stinks like mad...not bad, but really noticable on my hands/fingers after playing.

I've noticed lots of audio gear has that 3M Scotchtape smell...I like that smell...
  4. The Ibanez Ergodyne series basses smell like petroleum. My basses just smell clean and new when I buy them.
  5. The smell of a brand new Thunderbird is pretty darn nice. Mine is 2 years old and it still has that new bass smell.
  6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Do you think I could find a "new bass smell" tree to hang from my car mirror? Sounds better than the funky new car smell ones.....Now, this business of Ibanez Ergo's smelling like petrolium (I've heard that alleged in another thread one time)...are you just being hard on them for being made of unnatural materials - or have you have you actually detected the odor of petrolium while handling a new Ergo bass? If yes, had you just come from fueling you car by chance?
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Thanks for the replies, interesting stuff to those of us that have stinky basses lol. I never thought to ask anyone, but this one G&L always had this strong vanilla scent in the case and on the bass. I never could figure out how this happened.

I still don't know really, but I enjoyed the replies. :)
  8. Thank you very much.

I just caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror smelling my bass case, now I feel like an idiot.
  9. Don't make fun of my ergo! :D The Bass itself doesn't have much of a smell to it, but when I opened the case for the first time, the case smalled like a skunk :p I leave my bass on a stand usually, and I leave the case in my closet, and sometimes when I open the case after its been closed for a while, it has that horrible smell.

Before you ask why I got the ergo, it's because when I was looking for a first bass, I found this bass(an EDB 600) for $350 with a case, and I liked the feel of the bass to all the other basses for that price range, so I baught it
  10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    lol don't feel bad man - believe me, I feel just as bad posting this corny question really, but I couldn't stand knowing if I was the only one

I have regular SKB's and mfgr cases that have no scent whatsoever - it's just this one G&L that I bought new last year - it's really strong though, like you would notice it as soon as I open the case without even getting close

and there she is, my vanilla smellin' bass! - I don't normally name basses, but in this case, I think I'll make an exception - since it has a natural ash finish and smells like cake mix, I'm going to name this bass 'Vanilla' :p
  11. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    My L-2000 doesn't smell like anything except for caked skin flakes.
  12. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Fender case smells like Carmex (stuff for chapped lips), kinda vanilla-ish I guess. I dont know why the thing smells like that, I asked the guy at the guitar store and he had no clue either.
  13. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i always liked the way my warwick bass case smelled. the smell of wood :confused: :D
  14. That should be their logo.

The sound and smell of wood. :D
  15. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Not to mention the feel of wood.

16. not quite Flea

not quite Flea

Oct 19, 2001
    I remember when my bass smelt nice..:)
    It still tastes nice though...
  17. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    my edb 690 and its case came with some sort of a lemon scent, and it is still as strong as the day i received it
  18. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    now that you mention it my new fender american jazz deluxe does kinda smell like a vanillaish type chap stick. man, thats weird. i ordered my bass right from the factory and was the first to open and touch it at the dealership when it came in. what a pleasent smell. i think i will always associate the scent of vanilla to my jazz:rolleyes:
  19. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    hehe, i think its just the dye they use to color the fibers in the case... cases are always dark green, blue, pink, grey, or black..... so i bet the heavy dye just has an odor
  20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You know what I used to absolutely love? The way a brand new Nintendo game smelled. Just me?