Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schack bass - help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreadhead, May 8, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello there! I need some advice.
    A guy wanna sell his Schack bass... it's a 5 strings neck-thru headless... it's one of the earliest Schack basses, with gold hardware and ABM bridge.
    He said that the bass is in good conditions but needs a set-up... the neck shows a slight bow.
    What do you think? The conditions of the bass should be good, 8/10. I could provide a pic if it helps... how much could it be worth? Do you think that I could get it (considering the bow)?
    Thanx:D

2. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    i'd say.....you'd be in the wrong thread

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Scuse me... why?:confused:

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi,

If you can post a pic of the bass, I could confirm what's following:

Schack carbon necks are not adjustable. If the neck show two much bow, being loaded with standard sting gauge...do not buy it because there's nothing to do.

I've been selling schack basses back when I worked for California Music in Paris Pigalle. I've been sending back some (few of them) basses to schack because of this problem.

JP

5. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    It's not a carbon necked bass... it's a neck-thru one! I attach a picture. The bow is towards the back of the neck.

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    dreadhead,

Carbon neck trough shack basses exist...

Well, "your" bass is the the model I was thinking of!

If there is backbow in the neck, just check with the seller that you've got enough action remaining on the truss rod to correctly adjust the neck...must be no problem.

how much is the guy selling it?

JP

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    The seller isn't a bass player... he doesn't know anything about the bass. But I didn't think that bass has carbon fiber neck!! I don't think I would like it. It ask for a little price, under $300.00...

8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I can't really see if the bass has a carbon or a wood neck. Carbon neck through are hidden with a front wood laminate but not like the one in the pic you provided. I think this bass has got a wooden neck...

300 is an amazing price... go for it! an hi-hend schack bass is listed here in europe for 2000 to 3000 US dollars.

Regards.

JP

9. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, what happens if the bow is not repairable? The only thing I can do is hope that the truss-rod can fix it...:confused:

10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    It depends of course of the amount of bow!

even if the truss rod can't correct the bow, it's possible for a luthier to defret the neck, plane it, and refret it so you end up with a staigth neck...

JP

11. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Do you think this bass is worth that much work/money? Have you played a bass like that? I trust you, I must admit I'm really tempted... I think I'll get it!! :D ;) :cool:

12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    under 300$ is worth the money of course...

But be sure to test the truss rod action if you can or have the seller set up the bass buy a pro even if you pay a few bucks more...

Schack basses play great and have killer (but sometimes fragile) electonics. definitly have a modern sound.

Hope it helped.

JP

13. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, it helped! But as I said, the bass is sold "as is", and the seller is not able to set it up... but I think that a 5 or more pieces neck should be really hard to bend!

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As JP said, either test the trussrod yourself or ask to have it set up by a pro. In this case if it were me I would pay for the setup.

$300 US for that bass?

I'd buy it in a heartbeat;)

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What's the phone number of the shop?

16. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I've decided to get it, but as I said, the seller isn't a bass player and I don't think that he will set-up the bass, even if I pay for the work. But no risk, no glory, isn't true? ;)

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Are you sure he will not "allow" it to be set up?

18. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well... someone got the bass... and I'm not that one! :confused:
    I think I could get a steal... or a warped-necked bass!;)