schack basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Aug 13, 2001.

1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, any of you guys play one of these before? there's a sweet looking fretless five string on bass nw...i was looking at getting a 6 string pretty soon, and i think one of these in a 6 string version would be pretty awesome. i can't find a whole lot of info on them though. :( any info would be much appreciated...thanx guys!
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I played a few of them several years back and remember thinking to myself that they had a ton of knobs, but didn't have a really unique sound to them. They're definitely well made, but I thought were too expensive for what they were.

They don't sound bad, however, and if you like the looks and feel, I don't think you'll have any problems.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Andreas Schack is a German luthier who builds basses for more than 20 years.
    The basses are great, especially the design is very smooth, e.g. a unique bolt-on design with no visible screws. Perhaps too streamlined for some people and a little Tobias-like.
    They sound great, but it's a modern open sound that can be tweaked into every direction.
    If you're looking for "character", like you get with a Ric or MM Stingray you should look somewhere else.
    But if you want a modern great-sounding bass with lots of tonal variety - get one.

The price is ok for a HANDMADE bass from a small German luthiery (6 people if i remember correctly).

Strangely no website available yet.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The Schack at BassNW is totally killer, and looks way better in person. One of my fav fretless's I've ever played (and I played it the same day I played the Bubinga fretless they had). My only gripe about it (and I didn't play it amplified, but it was quiet there that day) was that it was 36", so there was a LOT of stretching. Makes playing a fretless a LOT harder!
  5. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    i know severeal people who have these bass around me (cuz the local music shop sells them) but they are great basses go to for some more details on them they are too expensive bases for my budget tho
  6. <a href="">This</a> is the url to the shack site as far as i can tell....
  7. correction... <a href="">THIS is the correct link... sorry bout that
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There was a six month old Bubinga Schack fretted 6 for $600 on last week. A flat out steal. I didn't buy it, figured I'd leave it for someone else.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...600 bucks...i don't think i could get a used ibanez 3006 for that....i wonder if it's still there...:eek: