SOLD Schack Carbon V - German Graphite Neck & Bubinga Body **PRICE DROP!!! $1250 Shipped**

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bassology, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    **SOLD**

Up for grab is a headless Schack Carbon V. An ultra-rare bass built by German luthier Andy Schack, these basses were over $2000 euro new, and I don't believe they are in production anymore. The neck is made of Carbon Graphite material (never to worry about neck wrap again), and is 36" scale. The body is made of Quilted Bubinga, very Warwick like, but much more powerful. The bass is in excellent condition, however, it does have a few light finish wears on the body and hardwares from normal usage. There are no major dents or chips. Frets are in good condition, some wears can be observed on the upper frets, however NO BUZZING at all, and the action is set mid-low. As you can see from pics below, the previous owner added a DIY pickguard to protect the body from his heavy playing. It works, however it can be removed as it might not be your thing.

*One thing to note from my personal experience is that the low B-string on this bass is incredible. I have never played a bass where the B feels and sounds just as even as the rest.*

Specs:
    Body: Quilted Bubinga w/ Oil Stain Finish aka. Warwick
    Neck: Carbon Graphite (no truss rod)
    Frets: 25 frets
    Pickups: BassTec Jazz x2
    Preamp: Schack BC3P, 18V 3-Band EQ (More tweaking can be done from the cavity)
    Controls: Volume, Blend, Treble, Mid, Bass
    Scale: 36"
    Bridge: Schack

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    oh my, oh my!

:bassist:

M

3. That is different.

4. If it weren't 36" scale I'd be desperately tempted :eek:! Shoot, I'm already tempted!

5. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    Surprisingly, the bass actaully feels quite comfortable in my hands, and believe me, they are small. :crying:

Due to its extra long scale, the B string is very tight and even sounding through out the frets. I often find myself just staying in the 2nd position, and only going down when I need that ultra low. :D

6. Arrrrrgh! I wish you lived near me so I could try it out :(

7. dasto

dasto

Sep 15, 2007
    Switzerland
    Bump for a great instrument!!

I only can confirm this!! These are great instruments. I've got one so I know what I'm talking about and it's a ridiculously low price. Somebody grab this!!

8. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    I found a couple of guys on youtube playing Schack Carbon basses. Maybe this would give you an idea as what to expect from them.

9. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Man I'm tellin ya, the Germans always make good stuff!!

10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    cool.

11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

wow, i never knew andy built stuff with a carbon neck. do you know if he made the neck or if it came from somewhere else? most of my experiences with schacks had neck issues...but a carbon neck would never warp. any idea how old this bass is?

12. freakybass1

freakybass1

Jul 13, 2009
    El Paso Texas
    I brought back a 1990 Headless 6-string back when I returned from Europe. There was only one issue and that is why I chose to sell it. The neck didn't have a truss rod and I had serious curve on it. If this issue was resolved, this is probably one of the best funk basses I have ever played. The EQ/preamp section is hands down the best. If you know how to manipulate a semi-parametric eq, this bass gives you the most variable eq I have ever seen on board. As I mentioned, if the neck has no issues or has been resolved, this bass is the s**t!

13. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    There's no truss rod with these basses, however I really doubt the neck would ever warp on them. Earlier Modulus don't have them either, and it really ain't too bad, you just need to rely the action setup more on the height of bridge saddles.

Currently, my bass has a heavy set of d'addario on it (130 -45), and the cuvve on the neck is just about right. The action is set to medium low, and I can play the B string all the way up to 25th fret with an ease, and no buzzing.

As far as I know, mine is likely from early 2000, probably just few years before Andy stopped all production.

Some close up pics of the neck:
    11.jpg

12.jpg

14. freakybass1

freakybass1

Jul 13, 2009
    El Paso Texas
    It's quite possible that Andy added reinforcement spars in the neck to prevent this from happening, however I do know that it was an issue in the very late 80's early 90's. I can see by the pics, that this bass definitely does not have the issue mine did. If it were a six it would be bought!!

15. freakybass1

freakybass1

Jul 13, 2009
    El Paso Texas
    I also forgot to mention, mine was a neckthrough design so this could have also had an effect on my issue.

16. pm sent

17. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Man, I missed the end of the auction when this was on eBay. I was hoping to steal it for about $700ish! I was relieved when I saw that it went for a bit more than I was willing to pay. That price is still a deal. (I'm a cheapo and was looking for a 'steal'!)

If this is anything like my Bogart, then that it's a killer bass. I'd imagine that p/up and electronics package could blow a Bartolini setup away! I'll be watching this with hopes I come across some cash!

Good luck.

18. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    BTW, I will also consider trading it for a vintage bass or a 5/6 stringers in the same quality range.

19. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    BUMP :(

20. PM sent.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021