Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schack fretless at Bass Northwest ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LuoLi, Apr 1, 2002.

1. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
  2. Yeah, they have reduced the price a total of $900. I'm not that familiar with these basses. Maybe a German TBer can give some feedback.

-Chris

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Every now and then I thought "hmm", then remembered the 36" scale. Me <- child-hands.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am sure Angus will reply here, because I think he has actually played that bass. He is the only one that I have heard mention anything about it.

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I could go down there and play it and let you know what I think of it...

6. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I was thinking about jumping on it a while ago (when it was $2500), but I chickened out. And it has no lines.

I remember reading a bad review of a schack bass somewhere, and then I forgot about it for a while (and bought that Status at GGuitars.. :))

7. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    any time a bass goes off the list and returns a little while later, it always makes me think twice- someone wasn't suited well with it-

elwood

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Its beautiful looking- and it reeks of Tobias ripoff, but i have also heard negative comments about those- i read somewhere that a couple just fell apart after a while- i would be very careful...

9. It sure does. :) Still looks nice, though. Gotta love that translucent black finish.
    Anyway, Schack makes (or made) two different body styles of the Unique series basses (and this may only apply to the bolt on models, not the neck throughs), one for the European market that closely resembles the old Tobias basses (and the one at BassNW looks like one of those, but then again it is also neck through), and one for the American market, with a slightly different lower horn. According to Martin Petersen, who makes Sei basses in London, the American model came about after some complaints from Tobias regarding the too similar body style. I was told this back in '96, and I don't know if the Tobias brand was owned by Gibson at the time, or if Schack still use different designs for different markets. It's not like they have a very informative website or anything... :(

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Andy Schack is in the business for too long to be just a Tobias-ripoff.

Some of his basses may look like Tobias', but he has/had other models/designs of his own and some cool innovations, e.g. his bolt-on system with no visible screws.

One of the better bass builders from Germany, especially with his carbon neck models.
    But that was in the early 90s, things have gotten quiet in the last years - I haven't seen any reviews or new models for some time.

US dist. site: www.schackbass.com

11. Does Schack still make those graphite necked headless basses he made in the early nineties? They might the coolest basses I ever saw, and the Unique bolt on (w/o visible bolts, nice) I tried out a few years ago might be the nicest bass I've ever laid my hands on. I actually find it odd that you don't see Schack basses in the hands of players more often than you do (I've only seen one in the hands of my favourite bassist about ten years ago, and he's since played many different basses, among others Warwicks, and now he has his own signature Swedish designed, Korean made, bass), maybe it's the advanced electronics that scare people off?