1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schaller 3D 4 bridge - do rollers move by themselves?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mouthmw, Jul 2, 2014.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Straight forward question. I have a feeling my E string roller moved from its position (I have it set a bit to the left side) more towards center last time I had a band practice. I can't fathom how that could happen since it has to roll. I did dig in quite a bit since it was a long time since we played. I'm not 100% sure that happened since I was messing with tuning day before and I could have accidentaly rolled it that time when I really really downtuned it. Anyways, I'll know for sure this Friday since we have a gig and see how it fares.
    Could it move from vibrations and/or hard playing? If so, I'll just get a bridge with fixed saddles. Anyone had this happen?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Can't say I agree or deny it can happen. BUT. Just set it where you want it and put a tiny drop of BLUE Locktite on the threads; it won't move after that unless you move it.

3. When changing the string a bit roughly, the wheel do move. But when tension is applied to the string and you can set the rollers to your liking, they won't move (much).

AltGrendel likes this.
  4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    That might work. I'll see if my roller (only the E string roller seemed to move) moves this Friday, I might opt for this option instead of getting a new bridge.

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I didn't change the strings. Which is why I'm perplexed. My E string is slightly bent to the left so it can reach the roller. Not sure if the string is somehow pushing the roller into the position where it would be more straight (which is more to the center). It never happened when I jammed at home, but only seemed to happen when I played with the band, which is when I generally play more aggressively.

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Here's a picture of my bridge. This is how I want it to hold. The green arrow shows the direction where the E roller moved to, it was somewhat in the center. As you can see, the E string is a bit bent until it sits on the roller. I don't see the point of this bridge if it cannot hold the set position.

edit: forgot to mention, I haven't gigged with this bass yet since I got it fairly recently, only had one band practice so far, rest of the time I only played it at home. First time experience with Schaller 3D brigde.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I think those bridges are brilliant and flawed at the same time. The string spacing is highly adjustable...whether you want it to be or not. If you play so hard that the string is lifting off the saddle, then it could be moving while you play. Regardless, the fix is simple. Loctite is intended for things like this, but I have found that a drop or two of white Elmer's glue is sufficient to keep the rollers in place.

EDIT: I really don't think this is a reason to replace the bridge.

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I love that bridge I never had to see loctite there, but ever situation is different.

I have heard instances where the use of an ouija board have moved those rollers.

9. Loctite can do the trick. Love those bridges, can't actually I've encountered that issue. but in case I notice it, I have my Loctite handy in my bass-gig-case

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Thanks everyone. I actually really dig the bridge, it's great looking, the action is fantastic and no sharp edges anywhere. I guess I'll try the loctite thing if it moves. It might not move, I'll update here.

11. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Little bit of clear nail polish works great and when u want to change the position again a little nail polish remover ( when you have it in its new position just apply nail polish again).

TonyP- and mouthmw like this.