1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schaller BML light weight tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Phil Mastro, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy some tuners, in black preferably, and I came upon the warmoth page about tuners containing Schaller BML light weight tuners. I tried searching around, and I couldn't find any threads about them. Are they any good? From their explanation, a set (I suppose 4 tuners) weigh 8 ounces, which is 227 grams. 4 Ultalites are supposedly 188 grams.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I haven't tried them the Spertzels are lighter than the Hipshots though.....t

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Was it a set of the 1/2" post Hipshot ultralites that were 188 grams (47 grams a piece)? Because the 3/8" ones I have in front of me are 42g a piece, or 168g total. These are black.

For what it's worth, I also have a set of black Sperzel's in front of me that are 40g a piece. Only 2g difference. I haven't tried Sperzel's new ultralite design, though.

From the sounds of it, the Schaller light weight ones aren't much different from standard 3/8" post tuners (70g a piece, in black). If it's the 1/2" post you are talking about, then I'm not sure if that's in line with other light weight tuners or not. Sounds heavy, though.

I have a set of 1/2" post Hipshots with clover heads (like for Fenders, etc) that'll be here monday, so I'll weigh those.

I haven't ever tried their bass tuners, but their guitar tuners have always worked well for me. I have a set I'm putting into a bass I'm converting to an 8 string. Can't say much about the bass ones, though.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Survey says....damn! The 1/2" post Hipshot ultralites (in satin silver) with clover key weigh 54g. Much heavier!! Only a few grams lighter than the Schallers.

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Th Schaller BML tuners are great tuners. Very durable, nice easy turn, all around one of my favorites.

6. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    The Schallers are excellent tuners. I used a set on the last P-Bass that I built. Their light weight comes from the fact that Schaller uses a plastic gear housing.

7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Thanks guys, I'll be buying a set of Schallers cuz they're noticeably cheaper than ultralites, and lighter than standard Gotohs and such.

8. playthatthang

playthatthang

Oct 6, 2015
    great thread. thank you for the information. i'm buying a set of these today.

9. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    I really like these tuners. They are smoother in operation that any Hipshot product

You have to be a bit careful with the Schallers though. They have locator pins on the base that extend into the headstock. If you are looking to use them as a replacement, you will have to drill the 8 holes (2 for each tuner) to account for the pins. Take a look at the Warmoth 32" necks. >>>>This shows what I'm talking about Warmoth Custom Guitar Products - Short Scale