1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schaller Bridge. 4 Hole Mount. Options and Parts?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by c-level, Nov 29, 2018.

1. c-level

c-level

Dec 14, 2016
    Hey Yall, joined recently to show and tell my Fender MIJ Jazz Bass Special. It came stock with one of those Schaller (er, Kahler?) 'Quick Release' Bridges. Im starting to loathe it, for one it needs some filing to get the roundwound wear off of the saddles. Two, the saddle screw either seems tapped out of threading, or the springs are keeping it from screwing and shortening it towards the bridge?

So...

Has anyone had luck finding NOS replacement saddles, or retrofitting new roller saddles into their old Schaller?

What options do I have for possibly replacing the bridge without filling and drilling new holes? This is unfortunately a 4 screw mount bridge, not modern 5 bolt or vintage 3 bolt Fender.

Anyone have experience with this bridge? Let alone the problems with intonating a fretless bass after upping string gauge are difficult enough, without a finnicky old bridge shagging you up...

20181116_122535. Resized_20181126_212002.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. c-level

c-level

Dec 14, 2016
    Sorry but that is not even close to the same part. Its 3 hole mount for one. If you look on mine the saddle screws are offset differently, with the A and D screws nearly touching and E and G far offset, so unless you can flip the saddles and they work on both sides? It seems this was not a well thought out bridge? There seems to be no precedent for replacement or repair?

4. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The rollers are interchangeable between saddles. so the G and A, and the D and E could be switched between each other to accomadate your bridge plate (or a left handed player.) I would look at filing the existing saddles and getting shorter screws for the existing saddles though. No way would I pay almost 65 Euros for those saddles; I'd go to a Hipshot bridge first. The entire bridge was included to illistrate the two different saddles available, as the slection bar for the saddles doesn't work properly. You can also confirm saddle dimensions at the bottom of the bridge page.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. c-level

c-level

Dec 14, 2016
    Bump. Can anyone attest to having retrofitted this style quick release bridge with modern roller bridges?

Thanks

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Schaller? Quick release? Is the pics of your bridge the same as your description of it? Where's the QR feature on it? I don't recall ever seeing this particular Schaller.

AS SK implies (I think), just replace the whole bridge with something of better quality, like a real Schaller or a Hipshot. :thumbsup:

96tbird likes this.
  7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    As others have already intimated, that is neither a Schaller nor a Kahler bridge. And it doesn't appear to be a "quick release" design either.

And a real Schaller bridge isn't "quick release" either.

If you want a respectable pedigree and "quick release" you should just replace the whole thing with a new Kahler 2440-W4 or an ABM 3704 MkII or Hipshot Type A.

8. c-level

c-level

Dec 14, 2016
    Im still not sure of the bridges origin, it has no visible markings and I havent removed it. I got the idea of it being a Schaller as somewhere it was mentioned in the 60+ page JBS Thread as a factory upgrade? It sure doesnt look like something Fender would make. Ive maybe never encountered a quick release bridge but if you notice (in the crappy out of focus bridge shot that shows the roundwound wear in on the saddle) the bridge has a standard hole drilled for the string ball end, with a slightly larger hole slightly overlapping it. This allows the ball to pass thru this larger hole if the string were slightly slacked, rather than being completely slacked and taken off the tuner post and pulled thru the bridge. So one can see how quick-release would be a passable term here. It also lends itself to the bridge saddle screws being offset?

I do like the Hipshot bridge you posted, it is the only reply yet that meets the criteria of a drop in bridge on the 4 hole mount standard. Perhaps the original is a 4 bolt mount of Hipshot origin?

9. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Your explanation of a larger hole the ball end can pass through certainly makes that a quick release. Hipshot currently makes one that works the same way. The photos are too blurry for me to make that out without it being pointed out though. After having a Gibson quick mount that has slots for the string to drop into, the sort you currently have is the only quick mount design I'd be interested in as it keeps the ball end captive while winding the string. With a slotted one the string tends to pop out repeatedly while winding.

Be careful if you decide to get a Hipshot bridge, the screw spacing changes when you order different string spacing, there is some string adjustment for each model. Maybe the Schaller replacement roller saddles aren't such a bad idea after all.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018