1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schaller Bridge Opinins?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Old Garage-Bander, Feb 20, 2016.

1. I am looking for a bridge upgrade for my VM Jag SS. One bridge that caught my eye is this:

NEW Schaller High Mass 4 String Bass BRIDGE Adjustable Rollers Badass Chrome

Yes, I realize that this may be like putting a $50 saddle on a $10 horse, but humor me in my endulgences.
    I like the idea of the roller saddles. On the surface it seems like a real good idea. But are there any pitfalls?
    It appears to have self adjusting string spacing, also a plus in my mind. Is it a negative for anyone?
    My only concern at this point, is that I had hoped to find a bridge with the Fender five hole mount.
    Is this really a big deal to go with just the three hole mount? I am not concerned about getting it mounted, just that it will hold up to the tension. I Tend to shy away from the Gotoh 201 because I hear about having to raise the neck, and would like to avoid messing with that. I also am looking at the Omega Bass II (Badass clone). But that seems to require cutting string groves into the saddles. I guess that makes it usable for different string spacing, but I am not crazy about doing that either. Or does it work fine without the cuts?
    The saddle on my Jag is in pretty bad shape, some rust on parts and a lot on springs, and I also want to switch to a black bridge for the color scheme I have in mine. Also, I think a heavier bridge will help some with my neck dive.
    So thoughts... Pros... Cons... Tell me I'm crazy. Other suggestions in this price range?
    Thanks.
    PS... Opinions not Opinins. Sorry, can't figure out how to edit the title.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I like that bridge. Came stock on my 1st fretless, an old Carvin LB40, and I've used them on several projects since. I don't think the 2 extra screws in the Fender mount necessarily give any better results. One thing about these, it's easy to get the spacing wonked if you fiddle around, so before you string up, make sure to measure to ensure the spacing is even.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  3. OK. I didn't see any info on the Schaller site about adjusting for string spacing. I found a better photo and it looks as if the roller rides on a threaded mount. The other photo I saw didn't show that detail. I thought it just moved along a smooth surface and just auto adjusted to required spacing.
    So is the spacing adjustment is simply a matter of turning the rollers until they are all at the proper locations?

JustForSport likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yes, it's that easy. Also that easy to screw up. :D

5. So noted. Thanks.

6. A drop of clear nail polish at the edge of each roller, once they are located to your preference can helps keep them in place.

Bob_Ross and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  7. Thanks for that tip. I would have thought the string tension would keep them in place.
    So other than being adjustable when you first install it, what is the advantage over a stationary saddle that comes with the correct spacing?

8. Yeah, once the strings are on and tightened, the rollers aren't going anywhere. It's just if they get knocked about while you're installing strings.

Other than what you mentioned, the adjustability, i.e. you can set your own string spacing, (and on the custom bass I have it on, its a big deal as the bridge was actually installed about 2 mm off centre, so I can adjust the rollers to centre everything), I don't think there is any "huge" advantage over any other quality bridge.
    But it is that, a quality bridge at a reasonable price.

And fwiw, I've never used the nail polish trick, just read about it.

9. image. Here you can see mine all set to the E side to offset the bridge misalignment.

10. OK. Thanks for the explanation. This brings up another question for the group.
    To avoid being off center, would I use the middle hole on the bridge with the middle hole on the bass? (The bass has the Fender five hole pattern.) Then I would be sure the bridge is horizontal with the other screw holes in the bass. Then drill for the other two bridge screws.
    The question being, is the bridge set in the proper location to achieve scale, 30", by using the original bass screw holes, or does it need to be set closer or farther from the nut? I hope that made sense.

11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i have an old one on a MIJ bass of mine-
    these are excellent bridges-pedulla and warwick even used them in their early years.

IMO-every bridge should have lateral adjustment and roller saddles.

12. I just saw your photo. This has much more detail than anything I've seen before. So yet another question, if I may.
    Looking at the threaded "rod" for lack of a better term. If the rollers are locked to the rod, say with nail polish. Can the threaded "rod" still spin in the mount? From the photo it almost looks like a bearing point on each side of the threads.

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Awesome bridges.

14. Just did a quick measurement, and my bass with the Schaller is maybe an 1/8" farther back than my fender, but if you look at my pic above, you'll note the G saddle is right near the front edge, so it's a little farther back than it needs to be.

So yeah, you'll be good. And it looks like the two outside screws should fall right between the existing screw holes.

15. No, the threaded rods don't move

16. Thanks for the added info.

DerekW likes this.
  17. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I used one on my one and only build (my avatar). I was a bit nervous I'd screw something up, so thought this would give me a bit of wiggle room. I didn't screw up, but a wee bit of tweeking got her to perfection! Really well built and designed. Coming up on 20 years, and still works and looks like new, with a LOT of miles and gigs on it.
    :thumbsup:

18. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Love them and my favorite for 4 strings.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  19. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    They are exceptionally forgiving to use in strange bass mods or to with any width neck, or to create a similar string spacing if you are switching between basses often, but YES. those 'saddles' fly around like crazy when you change strings. It's not even a matter of being careful, they move quite a bit.
    I have a Peavey foundation fretless where the strings were not well centered on the neck and this bridge really made it easy to get the spacing just right without any precision.
    I like the nail polish trick, I'll do that.
    hint, Old cheap ass Kramers have these as stock bridges. you can find Strikers for like $100 and they have LOTS of decent parts... good necks too if you can avoid (or appreciate) the pointy ones.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Joedog and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  20. Thanks for your thoughts. Looking at the Schaller site they do recommend adding a touch of glue to keep the rollers in place.