1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schaller Double-J Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by whitedk57, May 5, 2005.

1. Yes.

Part of the mistake I made in my first wiring diagrams for these pups was thinking that the physical position of the pups was too important. What's really important is the polarity of the coils and winding direction. That's why I've connected the two north polarity coils together in series so it will function like one big coil all with the same polarity and winding direction.

2. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Topper,

I figured out why I had a buzz in my bass. I was running an extension cord to my amp, and the cord's ground plug was broken off. :meh: I feel stupid for totally rewiring the thing. But, on the bright side, I took my time this time. All in all, I think I did a better wiring job this time.

I am not sure that I will ever build my own bass again, but at least I can say that I have. :hyper:

3. You choose a pretty big project for your first attempt. Don't be too hard on yourself. I bet in a few months you'll get the itch to try it again.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Rule #1: Isolate the problem to the component (electrical supply, amp, cord, bass - whatever else is in between) before "fixing" the component (aka: If it ain't broke, don't fix it).

Even in a relatively simple harness, anything you "re-do" is easy to re-do WRONG - which not only would have not resolved the target problem but created two problems in two components instead of one problem in one component (which is usually is more difficult to resolve).

That should probably stick in the future (and another occassion WILL arise) if you think in terms of, aside from any benefit that may have been gained from the reworking, you could have just removed the extension cord rather than rewire the bass.

Been there and done that too : -)

5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I just purchased the JJ pup on eBay, can’t wait to check it out!!!
    Quick question…can I use this diagram with a Dimaziio Ultra J neck pup instead of the P pup, and will the Dimarzio match well with the Schaller JJ?

6. Is the ultra J a single coil jazz?

7. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    From what I understand it's hum canceling, kind of like a p-pup in a j case.
    I believe it has 4 leads.

8. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    If the general wiring for the J-pup is like the p-pup in that you tie two leads together while the other two are hot and ground, this wiring diagram should work fine.

9. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    great, thanks.

10. Keep in mind that this isn't your only option. With a humbucker at the neck and bridge, you could replace the phase switch with another single coil/humbucker switch for the neck pup. That way you could turn your bass into a jazz with two single coils by thowing a couple of switches. If you have the option in your control cavity a pickup select switch (like on a strat) might be cool here.

11. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I was thinking about that one. The bass is routed for a J/MM setup, the double j is going in the MM spot, I guess I can rout the j spot for a double j as well.

If I go with 2 double J's I may just put in 2 on/on switches for each pup for single/double coil use.
    Or, I may do a rotary switch.

12. I thought you said your ultra J was hum canceling and had four leads? If this is correct then it must already be a double J. It probably just has the coils stacked on top of each other rather than side by side.

13. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    maybe I'm not using the correct terminology...this is what I got off bestbassgear.com for the Ultra Jazz

Wiring: Standard four conductor
    Magnet: Alnico 5 and Ceramic
    Output: 250 mV
    DC Resistance: 12.30K
    Tech Talk:
    The appearance of the Ultra Jazz? is traditional, but the wide dynamic range and frequency response of the hybrid magnetic structure allows both vintage and modern sounds. As with the Model J?, hum canceling is achieved with each coil sensing a pair of strings, rather than a stacked design; even with a relatively high DC resistance figure, the Ultra Jazz? has very strong, percussive highs and clean lows.

14. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Bloomington, IN
    so how do these sound in comparison to Dimarzio ModelJ's? since they pretty much look like two ModelJ's slapped together(possibly made for them by Dimarzio??)

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In my experience the Schaller's more of a Fender J tone/character. The model J's are more aggressive, raw, and more versatile in tone - they can go thin and Fender like or quite dark and dirty. The Ultra to me was too thin - like the top half of a Fender without the bottom to balance it out. At least from what I remember.

16. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I can't speak for the sound difference, but these were not made by Dimarzio for Schaller. They were made in Germany by Schaller. I had called Dimarzio and they said that they have never made any pup overseas. These guys came from the old NJ Kramer factory. The guy who is selling these said that his dad was a CEO of Kramer in the 80s. I would tend to believe him since I have seen him sell alot of Kramer gear on Ebay.

17. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Physically, it does look like a couple of model j’s stuck together. If so, I guess I’d be better of with a model j in the neck position instead of the ultra J.

18. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Bloomington, IN
    thx for the info guys, been thinking about picking up a set of these for a little experiment, but didn't want them if they sounded like ModelJ's.

19. I've got sound samples on my site. Keep in mind these were recorded with the tone control in full treble mode to capture the true sound of the pups without any tone being bled off to ground so some of them are pretty bright. http://www.mybassproject.com/frankenelectronics.html

BTW guys, I finished my project this weekend. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

20. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Wow Topper, that looks pretty tight! I will take some pics of mine sometime and post them. But, I am sure mine won't be as nice. :meh: