1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schaller Double-J Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by whitedk57, May 5, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Topper...what kind of pots (250k or 500k) did you go with ?

2. I used two 500k pots. One for volume one for tone. My tone is a push/pull pot wired as a series/parallel switch.

3. Post 'em! I'd love to see them. This was my second bass and I have to admit I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. It was based more on luck than skill though.

I'm new to instrument making and wood working.

4. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Topper;
    I have a question for you if you could help me out...how do I wire the Double J as a humbucker with the 8 leads? I don't want to do anything fancy yet, I’m new to the wiring thing and I don't know what wire is for what.
    It’s gonna be in a Vol/Vol/Tone setup, with the double J in neck position. I have a dimarzio model j for the bridge on order.
    I’m going with 3 500k pots, not sure what kind of cap to go with yet.

5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I just saw your schematic for the Jazz Series setup, that's what I was looking for.

6. The jazz schematic is for two schallers, each wired as a single coil. Is that what you want or do you want one schaller wired as a humbucker?

7. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Sorry, I just saw your question (2 months later)...
    1 Schaller wired as a humbucker

I'm going to put the Schaller in the neck position and a Dimarzio Model J in the bridge.
    I'm thinking of going with the push/pull tone for series/parallel.

8. Sorry it took me a little while to respond to this. I completed my project a while back and had to dig through my diagrams to find this.

http://www.trey-mitchell.com/images/whitedk57-2.gif

This is one of these schallers wired as a humbucker with a single coil/humbucker switch thrown in. Delete the switch and you'll have a basic 4 conducter humbucker with North Start/Finish and South Start/Finish which you should be able to plug into any standard wiring diagrams online.

9. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Are these pups still available on ebay?

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I haven't seen him list any in a while.

11. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I just asked the seller that question. His username on Ebay is 732toni.

12. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Thank you

BTW...is that an on/on switch?

13. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I got a response about the Schaller JJs. He's all out of them.

14. Yup, you should use an on/on SPDT switch (although the switch in the diagram is a DPDT switch with one side not used)

15. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Topper;
    You've been a great help. I have 1 more question for you...the diagram in the link, can I substitute the on/on with an on/off/on and wire it the same way so I can choose between each pup and humbucker?

16. You should be able to use a on/off/on switch, but I'm not sure I understand what you are going for. Wired that way in one position you would have a neck humbucker and a bridge single j. In the off position you would just have the bridge single j. Then in the other on position you would have a neck single J and a bridge single J. Is that what you're going for?

17. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    1 neck j
    2 humbucker
    3 bridge j

18. With my wiring as is and a bridge J thrown in you won't get what you describe. If you use an on/off/on in my diagram, I believe what you will end up with is:

1 neck humbucker - bridge J
    2 bridge J
    3 neck J - Bridge J

You could probably use the other side of the switch to acheive what you're going after, but I'd have to try and draw it to be sure. Or you could wire each pup with it's own volume knob (like a jazz bass) and use an on/on switch just like my diagram to get a whole lot of control over your tone.

19. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
  20. Yes, A push/pull pot would work and the wiring is still the same.