Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schaller model 460 bridge, any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ebenismyhero, Jul 8, 2002.

1. i found a very good deal on a Schaller model 460 bridge :)D$20:D), and my stock bridge has been giving me trouble with intonation and breaking low E's. im pretty sure i want it, but i just want your guys' reassurance. also, about how much would a professional installation cost?

2. I'm not familiar with that bridge by it's number. To tell you the truth, I thought that Schaller only made a single design - in different saddle quantities - that being a roller style. If it's different let us know. If it IS this particular design then you have absolutely no worries as to it's quality. These are my favorite bridges (I own 3) and they are quite suitable for retrofitting to your bass.

3. Whoa, hold on there!!

That bridge looks like a drop-in replacement for the Gibson "floating bridge" that was used on basses like the EB series many years back. The problem is that it doesn't appear to have any way to adjust intonation - very important if you intend to play notes on your neck above the 3rd or 4th fret.

Look at your bass and see if the bridge is constructed in a way that allows movement of the saddle forward and backward. There will likely be some sort of screw type mechanism with the screws aligned with the strings. If it is this type of bridge, the Schaller 460 is NOT what you want or need.

UPDATE: I just reread the page and it says that it can indeed be adjusted for intonation at the saddle. I might be wrong but if it can, it doesn't look like it has much latitude for adjustment at all. Another thing I noticed is that string height is only adjustable by the 2 screws on the side. That is like the Gibson bridge. The middle strings suffer because they can't be adjusted individually. You really should look into a Schaller with individually adjustable saddles that can be moved in 3 directions. By the way, to mount that 460 bridge would require installation of the 2 post screws you see on the sides of the bridge.

4. ok thanks, i was a bit worried about that. i do have the type of bridge you described, with barrel saddles. i wasnt quite sure about the 460, having to redrill post holes and such. the price is what drew me to it (making 6.50 an hour and only working no more than 20-30 hours a week, im a bit tight on the greenbacks).

but the "normal" schaller bridges have a different # and placement of the mounting screws. will this pose a very big problem? or will it just be a matter of filling the old holes and drilling new ones? would it be a job to take to a pro?

5. ok! change of plans. i found a good price on the roller style bridge.:)D $30:D ) go for it? even with the aforementioned problems?

Yeah, I'd go for it especially for that price! The center hole still works and the others can be filled with wooden dowels and wood glue to keep the new holes from breaking through into the old ones.

6. i did it. $37 total with shipping. ill let you guys know how it works out.

7. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    where did you findd the 460?

8. actually on ebay, might still be up there, im not sure.

9. I tried to order a 460 yesterday and was told that they aren't making them any more.

FYI.

Steve

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hey Steve, nice to see you here.

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm in the process of putting one of the 460's in a project bass. I'll let you know how it turns out. Yes, you can adjust the intonation. There are screws in the bridge slots that allow you to position the bridge against the posts. I had mine installed by a pro. Actually, I had only intended to have this guy drill out the neck holes to accomodate the tuners, and rout the neck cavity, but he wanted to see the tuners and the bridge, and said he'd prefer to mount all the pieces for me. I got everything done (and his message says that he even did a quick neck mount to adjust the intonation) in less than a day, and my cost is going to be $68.