1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SCHALLER OR DUNLOP STRAP LOCKS??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by guitardefector, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Hello all. I wanna put some strap locks on my Fender Jazz and Peavey Fury soon but can't decide which ones, the Schallers or Dunlops? I personally like the aesthetics of the Schallers but I've read reviews on MF that they don't fit certain basses, referring to the screw. Has anyone had this problem?

I'm not gonna do acrobatics with my bass so I'm not concerned about them holding up in harsh situations. Just want them to free my hands without thinking about my bass crashing on the floor. Thank you gentlemen.

2. I've used both, and honestly the difference in negligible. I've never had anything go wrong with the sets of both I have had.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    They both work.
    I prefer Dunlop because Schallers are noisy when the strap is not on your shoulder. They clank around a bit.

4. With the Dunlops you are totally dependant that the "lock" grabs correctly. If it's the slightest bit off, the straplock can come undone, & there's nothing to prevent the instrument from falling. I've had this happen, and an expensive, otherwise perfect bass hit the stage floor.

The Schallers actually cup around the strap button, & I prefer this. I have had several sets, and never an issue.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Schaller is a bit more secure but can get squeaky and the nut on the strap part can come loose.

Dunlop has that nice ball bearing rotation action.

IME both styles like to be oiled occasionally to work their best.

But let me be the first to chime in with the beer bottle rubber washer:

rubber_straplok.

My fave by far.

6. I like the looks of the Dunlop a little better, and they go on and off a little quicker, but people seem to think the Schaller is a better hold, and a couple of my guitars came with Schaller pre-installed, so that's what I go with. I hate the look of that big ballpeen knob sticking up in the air, but I hate having my bass hit the deck even worse.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Both are Good ... I prefer Dunlap.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I use the Schaller's, because that's what comes standard on my Ric's, as well as my Am Dlx Fender.

9. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    +1 Cheaper, plus the strap is next to the wood which I think looks better, and feels better to me.

10. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    None for me :)
    Just a washer and a screw and the strap stays there permanently.

[​IMG]

11. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've used Shallers for years and have had many sets. Never had a mishap. I don't rmember why I chose them over Dunlops, but they've served me well for probably 20 years.

They do get a little squeaky sometimes but a quick wipe with some parafin shuts them up.

I've also used those little, plastic LokStrap discs on basses I didn't want to change the buttons on. They're really cheap and really reliable. I've never had a mishap with those, either.

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

If it's a gig bass.. washers keep the strap conected.

Does anyone know if either brand only sell the buttons?

Tim

13. Related question: On my P-bass I use Schaller strap locks. Everytime I check, the screw on the bottom of the bass is always loose. It never comes out far. Just enough to make me concerned. It is not stripped but I am hesitant to crank down on the screw as I will probably end up stripping it.

Anybody had this problem? I was thinking of putting a dab of glue but then I have concerns that the darn thing will be permanently attatched. I could use a longer screw I guess.

14. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Pull the screw out, stuff a couple of flat toothpicks in there and a dab of glue. The glue won't hurt anything because it won't bond all that well to the metal but it will bond enough to keep it from backing out.

15. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I have both Dunlop and Schaller. I think I prefer the Schaller's for the positive lock--there is no mistaking the bass is secure. On the down side, they can get squeaky. Just keep them oiled occasionally with a couple drops of 3 in 1 and you'll be good to go.

I like the Dunlop's okay, but I had one of the locks my Stingray5 come undone. Fortunately, I caught it before it hit the ground. I double check them now.

16. If the strap isn't too thick, I use these. If the strap is so thick that the lock won't tighten, then it no workee:
    Dunlopstraplock.

17. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I like dunlop myself but i have both

18. I've looked at all the parts outlets for seperate buttons and locking mechanisms, I can only find them sold in sets. Unfortunate, because I have lots of different basses and lots of different straps on which I'd like to use the Schaller system. I think I need some more locks myself.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's hard for me to find words for how much I hate Schaller strap locks, which are unfortunately stock on a lot of my Fender stuff.

I vote for anything that is lighter, cheaper and less dangerous to be flying around on the end of a strap.

20. these tend to come loose the moment you are not watching.....i prefer something that really locks.....if you do the jumping around ala flea then gaff tape overkill is probably the only sure way.....as far as a preference for dunlop or schaller,its like your cars engine.....any oil beats no oil