Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schaller Roller Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Davo737, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a Schaller Roller Bridge on my modulus, and can't seem to get the action on the d and g strings as low as I would like (the saddles are already as low as they get). I noticed that there is a base plate underneath the bridge. My question is: is there any compelling reason that I should not try removing this plate to obtain the desired action? Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Davo

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If the saddles are bottomed out and you still can't get the action low enough, you probably have too much relief in your neck. If you are uncomfortable, I'd suggest having a tech look at it.

Chas

3. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Chasarms,

Thanks for the reply - since its a Modulus, there is no way to adjust the relief in the neck (its an early 90's model - before use of truss rods); otherwise, you're right - the saddles bottoming out would be a non issue would be a non issue. I contacted Modulus, and they basically said that there is no need for the shim under the bridge - problem solved.

Regards,

Davo