Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schaller straplocks?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chris h, Nov 4, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Im sorry for sounding stupid! I have recently got a pair of strap locks which were given to me as a bonus when shelling out for a pedulla mvp 4 (v.nice!) and have a problem.

View the attachment and read my questions please:

-Im guessing the nut and washer at location A are to be tightened once the strap is pushed on, but i wouldnt have thought many straps would go past the area labelled B. Do i have to cut a bigger hole? because unless i do, the strap will never get onto the threaded bit of the button!?

Am i being incredibly stupid or approaching this simple yet perplexing task at the wrong angle?! help.

Thanks, chris

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The strap does indeed have to go onto the threaded portion of the lock and butt up against the main body of the straplock. The washer and nut are then tightened onto the threaded shaft, pinioning the strap between the straplock body and washer... The area that you have marked 'B' is actually the shaft that you pull to release the strap from the bass...

Hope this helps,

-robert

3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Yeah, thats great, thanks.

4. my leather strap was too tight and thich for my schallers so I had to remove a bit of the leather.. remove as little as possibleso that you can squeeze it over then tighten it up.

Mike

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The B region is less than 1/4", and the thread is less than the flange on an ordinary button.
    Normally, you have no problem, providing you take off the nut'n'washer, before placing the strap.
    Of course, there are tighter and thicker straps...

6. Bit unrelated this but some might find it useful:

a great idea from total guitar magazine - take two 'classic' bottles of grolsh beer (the ones with the swing tops) and drink up (mmmnn... remember: dont Drink and Jive) :D

whip the little rubber rings off of the bottle tops and give em a wash

pop the rings over the strap pegs, to securely hold the strap in place!

This works beautifully and will cost you no more than two bottles of German goodness

Hope somebody finds this as useful as i did!

7. congrats on the MVP. got an pics? (I have 3 pedullas)

8. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Heres one! pedullas rule