1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schaller Tuner Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gilmourisgod, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I have a set of elephant ear Schaller Rickenbacker logo tuners. The closest match i can find on the Schaller website is the "BM" series. What I can't find is any info on recommended maximum/minimum headstock thickness or hole sizes for the shaft or bushing. I tried a test hole for the bushing, and 1/2" diameter seems about right, I can hand-press the bushing into the hole. The tuner shaft is just under 3/8" diameter, so a 3/8" hole would probably work, but I don't know what the optimum amount of slop should be around the shaft. Does anyone out there have experience with these tuners? I am ready to cut my headstock to thickness, don't want to cut it too thick or thin. Based on what I can find online, Ric bass headstocks are approx. 5/8" thick.

Thanks!

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yep. Most bass tuners are designed to be used with a 5/8" thick headstock. If you want to go thicker, you can add a counterbore (7/8" dia?) on the front face to slightly recess the flange of the bushing.

Yes, I believe the bushing for that 3/8" post version of the Schaller BM is made to be pressed into a 1/2" hole. The simple installation is to just drill a 1/2" hole through. The more elegant installation is to drill 3/8" through, and then counterbore 1/2" to about 0.400" deep. Then the 3/8" hole on the back will help keep the tuner centered in the bushing. Not absolutely necessary, but it can make the tuners more equal in drag.

For reference, most guitar tuners are designed to be used with a 9/16" thick headstock.

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Bruce,
    Thanks! I'll use your "elegant" installation technique with 3/8" shaft hole and 1/2" stepped busing hole in a 5/8" thickness headstock.

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    My Mapleglo (2010) Ric headstock is 5/8" thick. Oddly enough, the Jetglo (2013) is closer to 11/16" thick.

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Maple
    Exactly why I asked, the one consistent thing on Rics is that they are not consistent, probably more variation from bass to bass year to year, even month to month than any other production bass. I' ll try a mockup in 5/8" plywood and see how they sit. Thanks!

Robert Canfield likes this.