Schaller tuning heads or GOTOH tuning heads for my EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm not sure where to post this query, hope I've got the right forum.

I have a prototype/custom EUB being built for me by luthier Bill Paulin (see thread 'Paulin EUB'), all is going well but he's asked me whether I prefer Schaller or GOTOH tuning heads.

The Schaller tuners he used in the past are black ones which in my personal opinion look absolutely great with the dark wood of the EUB. Bill recently sourced GOTOH heads but these ones are silver/chrome ones only. I really like the black Schallers purely for cosmetic reasons but according to Bill the chrome GOTOH set he's sourced are better quality.

So my dilemma - keep the black Schallers or go for the better set of chrome GOTOHs?

I did a search on TalkBass and found that a few of you have Schaller tuning heads with your MusicMan basses amongst others so I'm assuming that the Schaller brand isn't bad at all. If the difference in quality between the Schaller and GOTOH is marginal, I would prefer to go with the black Schallers. I've asked if gold GOTOHs were available because I think they'd also look great with the wood as an alternative to bright chrome ones.

Here are some photos of the previous prototype model EUB made by Bill with the black Schaller tuners: