Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schallers ripped out my strap button

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DanNowhere, Jan 22, 2006.

1. So I just started using Schaller straplocks on my AmStd J, and it wasn't long (maybe a month) before the strap button on the upper horn started working itself out of the bass. Now the whole thing is stripped, and pulled out in a cloud of sawdust.

I did some searching around on here, and got a few good ideas on how to fix the strap button itself, so that's not the problem. What I want is suggestions on is how to keep this from happening again. The way I see it, I have a couple of options:

1) try a different brand of strap lock - which I considered, but since the J came with Schaller-ready buttons, that was the most logical type of strap lock to use

2) try moving the button to another spot to change the angle at which the strap hangs and pulls on the button - is this a good idea? should I move it up or down?

3) try a different strap - ?? logically it doesn't sound like it should have been the strap's fault, but you never know. Normally I use a Comfort Strapp, which has a lot a give to it anyway.

Anybody had this same problem and know a good fix for this? Is there something I can do with the strap lock itself, like bending the washer so it doesn't pull so hard at a weird angle to the horn, or something like that?

I don't want to have to keep regluing the strap button all the time, or worry about my bass suddenly taking a dive during a gig. Your help would be appreciated.

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I would be more inclinded to say that "too small screws" caused the failure, and the brand of locks has nothing to do with it. Use toothpicks and wood glue to fix the holes, and put 'em back on . . . . .

- Tim

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    +1
    IMO Schallers are by far the best straplocks. I've used the "fill with toothpicks trick" with great success. I didn't use the glue and it worked perfectly. I would think the glue would only help that much more.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Same here. I have used the toothpick trick and it works like a charm. I too agree that the screws are too small and they don't have an agressive thread that is designed for wood. You can also get a longer wood screw and use that. If the head is too wide to fit through the button, you can grind it down to fit.

5. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    On all my basses that I have locks (Schallers) on, the screw that came with the bass was longer than what came with the lock, and the size was such that I was able to reuse the original screw, and not potentially change/bugger the threads in the body. Also remember that tight is good, but too tight is stripped - gorilla fisting the screwdriver will cause no end of trouble as well . . . .

- Tim

6. nashpipe

nashpipe

Oct 17, 2005
    I second or third the Schallers. I've had them on all my basses including a '72 Jazz since the 80s and had no problems. I used the screws that came with the locks and they are still in great shape.

And toothpicks and glue work great to fill holes.