1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schatten Mini Pre 2 (pickup/mic blender)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by riimodar, Jul 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM.

1. riimodar

riimodar

Aug 5, 2006
    Just wanted to share my experience with Schatten Design Mini Pre 2 pre-amp/blender.

I used it to mix Ehrlund and Wilson on my DB. Overall it sounded nice, however the very bottom was lacking a little bit. I measured the frequency response and it proved the unit exhibits a gentle (approx. 6db/oct) low cut filter starting approx. at 200 Hz. While this may be beneficial for someone who needs to roll off some bass, I can't recommend the blender in general for use with an upright bass.

Sadly this technical detail cannot be found in product documentation. Hope this report will save some time and money to other folks who seek the ideal DB pickup blender.

Francois Blais likes this.
  2. Thanks for the info!

3. riimodar

riimodar

Aug 5, 2006

cdavisshannon likes this.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    That would make perfect sense as the Ehrlund Preamp has a different EQ.

Ehrlund Preamp. Les (Durb) took these measurements and posted them a while back

5. riimodar

riimodar

Aug 5, 2006
    Thanks for this. I always wondered whether Ehrlund preamp had any voicing and I missed this post.

6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    You could have easily missed it. Les did those tests two years ago. The Headway EDB-2 and Grace Designs Felix work great with the Ehrlund EAP.

Ric

7. Thanks explains the tone I was getting out of it when I had one.
    It didn't seem to be flat, and your analysis gives the proof.
    It doesn't seem to be appropriate for bass.

riimodar and Ric Vice like this.
  8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Francois.
    I've used the Ehrlund Preamp with other piezo pickups. It improves the sound of the Realist.

Ric

9. Thanks Ric.
    Actually, I've ordered a FDeck HPFPre rev 3 a few days ago.
    Also bought a used PreSonus Tube Pre here. (although this one has a 1Meg input impedance, instead of 10Megs for the Fdeck)

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Francois,
    You're welcome. To my ears, using different Meg Ohm loads for input buffering is "pickup dependent". Let's call it the Goldilocks and the Three Bears, poridge factor.
    1 Meg Ohm sounds to "cold", 10 Meg Ohm sounds to "hot" and between 2-5 Meg Ohms sounds "just right" for me using either the Ehrlund EAP or the Realist.
    Results may varry. Just my take.

Ric

11. Yes, and it depends on the pickup too.
    Some are much forgiving in regard to input impedance (Bass Max), and others more dependant. (BP-100)