Schecter 5 string active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimp_spanner, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Hey all! Okay I've been searching for a long while now, and I've finally reached breaking point...I NEED a 5 string pronto. So i found this:
    Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5, 35", 24 frets, dual active pickups with active 2 band EQ, one hell of a sexy finish....all for £339! I think I've attached a picture of it as well, let me know if it doesnt work - I dont come here often so Im not good at...stuff. Anyway, I just basically needed to know if anyone has either tried this bass, or has a vague idea of the kind of reputation it has. Schecter being an american company, there are barely any UK based review resources that address this model. But I mean it sounds great for the money. Plus I *think*, according to the schecter dealer website Im getting it from, it comes equipped with dual active EMG Hz's! So I'm this close to buying it folks. Any experience of it, or opinions would be great!!

Laters all!
  2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I was at a show recently, where the bassist used that bass......very nice sound, IMO. Though, it didn't cut the mix very well[maybe he just didn't turn himself up enough].
  3. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I just recently picked up a Schecter Studio 6 string on a whim. I too was having a hard time finding reviews on Schecter basses. Then, I finally got a chance to play the one you are looking at, along with the Elite 5 string at a local music store. I was very impressed and decided to order a Studio 6.

If you can afford it, go for an Elite 5. The wood is much better which helps with sustain and makes it a bit more versitile. The EMG's are very nice, you can get alot of tones out of them.

I don't think the Deluxe has EMG's in it, they have "Diamond's" which I assume are knock-off's of the EMG's.

One thing about all of them, the "B" string is nice and tight. A lot of other basses I played had floppy "B" strings.

Good luck!

4. Grrr i totally posted a reply earlier. If for some reason it appears twice...sorry folks! Yeah Id love to go for the Elite model (it has a more extensive control section too right?) but I'm on the tiniest of budgets! But yes xerogh as you point out they all have that long scale - vital for my fav tuning, A standard :) The pickups...well i phoned them and said i reckoned theyd made a big mistake and that EMGs were only on the higher models. the dude i was talkin to waddled off for a while, came back and sounded pretty sure they were EMGs...I reckon its an oversight but hey, if i get a set of them thrown in with the price, Ill just keep it hush hush like ;) i know how you mean john - some basses just by the character of their natural sound, simply dont cut through the mix, (a good example of that was my old Peavey Dyna-Bass passive 5 string. NOTHING i did EQ wise could make it sound punchy. terrible). i think in this case we'll just attribute it to an inexperienced soundguy!

anyhow, at least neither of you think it sucks!! ;) and for that kinda money, i dont think im gunna find much better. so....yep. ill have to come back here and brag about it when i have it :D