Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter 8 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by red40, Apr 6, 2003.

1. red40

red40

Mar 25, 2003
    Wilmington, DE
    So I gave in to the darkside yesterday and bought a Schecter Studio 8 which played nicely, was actually in tune in the store and sounded kinda nice. I got it home to crank up on my amp and I must say I don't like the sound at all. Theres no real attack when using a pick, no low end, just sorta muddy and rolled off, and the high end is "twangy" and not crisp like I had envisioned it. I changed the batteries in the bass to new ones and fiddled with my amp and preamp for a good hour till I got what I thought was a decent sound. Then I plugged in my Ripper to compare and it blew away the 8 string.

So my question is, are the electronics on this bass just junk, is the bass crappy or does it just need new strings? I've got 10 days to decide if I wanna keep the bass, or look for a better 8 string. I don't know if I really want to go replacing pickups in a $700 bass. Any suggestions?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Why keep an instrument that you don't like the sound of? Go get your money back.

3. I agree. $700 is a lot of money, and you actually have a chance to get it back. I say take it back right now. If there's any doubt, it's not for you. That's my opinion, but I've dropped a fair amount of money on bass gear recently (some not wise decisions, some wise ones, some poor ones that ended up being wise). It's just my experience that if you aren't happy, you shouldn't do it. Usually, though, it's too late for me to get my money back. I say you've got a great chance; take the bass back.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Did you pay that much?! If so, I'd definitely talk to the seller, see if they can make you satisfied with it. Might need strings, might just not be your cup of tea.

If it's not something that they can rectify, get rid of it! There are too many decent sounding 8's out there to let this one ruin it for you!

Hope it works out, 8's can be a lot of fun. My Dean doesn't sound like what you described, and it costs 1/2 as much...

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I find that the acoustic tone of a bass is a good indicator. Does it sound bad unplugged? If it does, I'd take it back. Anytime I am buying a bass (which is rare), I make sure to check out the acoustic tone before plugging it in. Many times a bass will sound similar to it's acoustic tone when plugged in, although pickups do make a big difference.

I'd say if it sounds bad acoustically as well then don't waste your time with electronics. Take it back.

6. red40

red40

Mar 25, 2003
    Wilmington, DE
    That the thing, I think the bass has a great unplugged tone, but if I can't tweak the sound with my amp this week I'll be taking it back.