Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ErnieD, Jan 2, 2005.

1. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I'm watching a Calfornia Custom 5 stringer on ebay. The features read pretty interesting, Hipshot 'A' bridge, thru body stringing, EMG P/J pups w/active EQ. Or is this just another Korean made, mid-priced offering like so many others manufacture these days. Anybody know anything about this bass? :confused:
  2. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I heve owned a couple of Schecters. I liked them all. I playes the CA in GC and liket it alot, but loved the C5. Go for it. There arn't a lot of schecter fans here because of the amout of players that play high end basses. Schecter=very nice. Later Joe
  3. I play schecter basses, a custom 4 to be exact and i love it, and i second kingbrutis's comment.

Schecter=very nice!
  4. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    ....and I like it. I like it much better than some of the other 'Korean' offerings like Lakland Skyline, Ibanez and the G&L tributes. These are the only 5's that I've gotten to play.

Hope this helps.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I own a Schecter Elite 4 and really like it. It plays and sounds as good (if not better) as alot of the $1000+ boutique ones out there.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Schecter IMO.
  6. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Thanks all for the reassurance. twangchief, Funny enuff those are the 3 basses I was kinda considering too. Since you have one can you tell me anymore about your CA5? The features and price of the CA5 I saw interested me, though my real hopes are for a MIA Fender Jazz 5, maybe the Fender Roscoe V, or a deluxe/custom Fender 5 model. Can the CA 5 get me there soundwise? Am I correct that it has both P/J pups, if so where are they located neck/bridge side, how is the OB pre? The pic I saw is really dark so I can't make out some details. Do you utilize the thru body stringing, and finally is that Hipshot A bridge anything special. Thanks for anymore info you can send me, Happy Nuevo Ano, Y"all!! :hyper:
  7. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    My location didn’t help me as far as trying out new basses. I have buddies that have Laklands and Ibanez and I’ve tried a few limited offering and a GC located about 2 hours away from me. All these basses weren’t setup the way I like so it was hard to tell if I would like them. I played a CA 4 and like it so I took a chance and ordered the CA 5 from Zzounds for $499. I’m a big fan of EMG’s and the Schecter CA 5 has two EMG 40s and not a PJ setup. I use the string thru feature but the only difference I perceive is a tighter, high/midrange “snap” when I slap and pull. Get the extra long strings that are out there if you use the string thru. The Hipshot bridge seems solid but I believe that it’s not offering any more than other bridges out there. I’m also loving the 35” scale and the flat 16” radius of the finger board. Our soundman likes the bass and claims that the B sounds defined but commented on the better definition of the E string. It’s a bit neck heavy so a non-slippy strap is a must.

It seems solid and worth the price. I think it’s a good value. Hope this helps.
  8. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Twangchief, I bought the same bass from Zzounds as well. Excellent value for only $499.00. To say I like it is an understatement. The Bass really cuts through the mix well and it's electronics are nice and quiet. I have to get almost right up next to my computer monitor before I hear any interference. Some other Basses I've owned I could here the noise from 2-3 feet away. The cavity is nice and clean too! Not slapped together like so many basses out there in the price range. The Massive tuners stay in tune! The finish is beautiful too! I can't figure why they are selling the Dark vintage sunburst for so much less over the Blk cherry but I am glad they were. I got a great bass for minimal $$$'s.

9. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    It seems taboo to say here at TB that we really like inexpensive bass guitars but I am surprised at the quality of this bass. Tuners, bridge, EMGs and the BTS system would cost approximately $300-$400. A great, less expensive bass that you don't have to upgrade the hardware. I was apprehensive with my first truss adjustment because it seemed really tight and I had to help the adjustment by bending the neck with my hand while cranking on the wrench. Its been fine the last 2 months with the changing PA weather (0 Degrees, dry to 60 Degrees and damp). I actually had the guitarists in the band (playing custom teles and strats) that this was a usa made schecter costing much more on the first gig that I used it.

I wish they made a six string in this model!!
  10. Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    I ordered a C4 Black Cherry that will be here early Feb and counting the days!!! :hyper: