schecter bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike1968, Jun 11, 2005.

1. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    I have been looking at schecter basses for awhile as my favorite music store here carries them in stock. The other two stores here carry fender, gibson, warrick ect... and are priced insanely high. The schecters seem fairly priced and their higher end models boast emg and duncan design pickups, grover tuners, nice bridges ect... I am really considering picking up a califonia custom fiver ( $599 ) they have and was wondering what kind of feedback I could get on schecter in general, good or bad.
  2. I used to have that bass up until 2 months ago when I got my Cirrus in. I had the Shecter for almost 2 years buying it new from the local music shop.
    For the money it is really hard to beat Shecter. They offer good quality hardware, good craftsmanship, and good electronics at a decent price. The reason I bought that particular model was because I liked the feel of it. The setup was fairly good IMHO but I later shimmed the neck and lowered the action more. For me at the time price did matter because I do not play for money, I'm the bassist for my church. I compared quite a few basses first and overall for under $700.00 I couldn''t beat Shecter. I bought mine for 500.00 as well. Now since I have my Cirrus, one of the youth at church has bought the Shecter for 450.00.
    A couple of bad things I noticed while comparing though were
    1) The B string - not as tight as I would have liked it to be.
    2) The bass was sensitive to what type / gauge strings I put on it, hence B string mentioned above. It seemed as though it didn't like lighter gauge strings. Became to bright and B string to flabby.
    3) No case
    All in all for that money it's the best deal out there for a new bass.

Good luck.
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have a Stiletto Elite 4 and its as good as anything else in the same price range ($550-600) IMO. Fit and finish are nice. Playability and the wide array of tones I can get with it are excellent.

If I have one negative its the weight. When standing for extended periods of time (45min-1hr) while playing this bass it would become tiring.

They are good basses. I haven't played a Schecter yet that I didn't like the feel and the tone(s) I could get from one. Heck, you can pick up the same model as mine now for $450! Thats a nice price for a neck-thru.
  4. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    I've had my Stiletto Studio 6 for a little over a month now and can't say enough good things about it. Great tones, great playability, Amazing value!
    My only bass I like better is my MTD 535. But since it's only got 5 strings, I play the Schecter as my main bass now.
    Sounds amazing both live and recorded. The 6'ers seem to be made per order. They don't just make a bunch of them and start sending them to stores, so mine came with a case just because I faught with the guy at GC until he ordered it with the case and didn't charge me for it. Payed just over $650 for it ( w/ shipping) and it was delivered by that beautiful big brown truck straight to my door.
    They are definately worth looking into seriously.
    I will not play any other basses until I can afford a new MTD 635.
    But since I don't think that will happen anytime soon, the schecter is a Great second choice.