Schecter Basses (omen 5 maybe?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nuggierox, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    I have been considering buying a schecter bass but I don't know much about them (other than the fact that they look cool?) I have my eye on the Omen 5 but again ... don't know much about them. My main concern is that schecter put descent pickups in their guitars that don't die after a year on the road. Feel free to email me with comments or links to reviews. (use the subject Schecter bass or something like that so I know it's not junk mail)
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    This is a good place to start: Harmony Central Reviews on several Schecter Basses. There isn't a review of the Omen but it will at least give you an overall feel for their products. The only other thing I can contribute is that I have played a few at our local dealer and I was impressed. However that is the extent of my experience with them.

Dan :bassist:
  3. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    I own a Schecter Custom 4 and I swear by them. If you like the sound of Warwicks and Spectors you will love the Schecter and less than 1/2 the price! Schecter used to make custom basses only (so I've heard) and recently turned commercial. It shows in the quality of their basses.
  4. Hey,
    I love my Elite-5, and for the price i payed for it, you'd think it would just be "ok" but its more than that. All my friends and bandmates love the bass too because of its looks, its just an amazing bass, one downfall though, the string spacing i wish was a little wider.
    -Ryan :bassist:
  5. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Dude, im gassin for the same bass. Im savin up for a new amp then my sights are set on that omen 5. Any reviews would be da shiznit.
  6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I own a Schecter Stiletto Elite 4 and I am selling it. (PM me if you want it).

I don't like the Omens, they're simply blown away by the Stilettos. The Stiletto Elite is one of the finest value and most beautiful basses out there today. The EMG-HZ pickups with active circutry sound perfect.

The S-TEK style bridge is my favorite. It is the most enharmonically accurate bridge on the market today.

My Elite 4 has a maple neck-through design with an angled headstock. It gets more sustain than all of the Fenders, MM's, etc.

I only have a few complaints about it. People don't realize that a neck-thru bass with nickle frets will get fretware pretty fast. Mine has some but thankfully it doesn't affect the sound yet. Also, the EMG-HZ pickups accel in every area except for punch, they could use a bit more. Lastly, the S-TEK bridge can be difficult for a beginner to readjust.

Stiletto Elite's Bottom Line: Excellent Value
  7. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Actually I've been looking hard at the C4. If I had an endless flow of cash I would probably buy one of each model, I love these basses that much. Wish I could find me a Studio Elite at Music 123 or Musicians Friend. Would buy it in a heartbeat!
  8. Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    I went to a local store this weekend and tried out a few of the 4 string models and loved them! However they didn't have any of the 5 strings in stock and I was wondering how the 4's compare to the 5's? Is the Low B tight? How does the neck feel by comparison? Any answers would help a whole lot.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have played 2 Elite 5 strings. The string spacing on them is a little narrow for my taste, feels like it is around 16.5mm. One of them had a decent B string, the other had a terrible B string. The pickups and preamps sound very nice, for the price.
  10. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Thats Awesome! which models did you try?
  11. I passed through GC last night and while I was in one area of the store, I heard somebody slappin' his heart away in the bass section, and he AND THE TONE sounded good! I ASSUMED it was one of the Warwicks. But as I walked over there, the player was actually playin' one of the Schecter basses (actually the PRO 4), I couldn't believe it! I never had a desire to pay any attention these basses in the past.

I proceeded to p/u an Elite 5 (didn't play it though cuz too much noice) and became discouraged right away because of the tight string spacing (IMHO). However, I didn't get much sleep last night thinking that I've got to give it a try (it just so happens that there's a used Reverend there too that I'd like to hear).

Long story short. Never assume anything with basses and Schecter is probably a GREAT VALUE.
  12. i am a proud owne of the omen 5, and let me tell you, it is one of the most versatile basses i have ever played.Great for slap, finger style, tapping, two handed tapping, you name it. In fact, today, i had an audition for a band with a bunch of these guys (i made it), and the drummer walks up to me after, and said that he loved how my bass sounded. These were his exact words "man, i love how your bass sounds, it has such a warm, crisp sound. I bet you payed alot for it", where as i replied "not really, it was only 700 (CAD)".

i stand by my decision fully, great bass, great price, i say go for it.
  13. Great basses. I've got the Stilleto Elite 5 string. Tight B string, decent electronics, tuners aren't bad and only are annoying if your bass is "cold". They make snapping noises when it's cold, but how often do you play in the cold? They're great slappers IME. It's a no-go if you want that marcus tone, but you can get some nice bright slap tones from it. As long as you've got a tweeter in your rig your set. Action gets low enough and has minimal buzzing. On the other hand, it's a beautiful bass and noone's ever bitched about it's tone/look. It's got the sound and looks for jazz, which is great and it's not a bass I'd hesitate to you in a heavier situation. Looks and tone; it's great for any style in my opinion. GREAT bargain bass. Look around, don't pay that $600 GC is asking for them! I got ripped off, even though this bass feels like a $900 bass. They're inexpensive because they have EMG-HZ pickups in them instead of expensive barts or such. Haven't had a problem with the pickups yet, they do distort a tid bit if you've got them close to the pickups, and I don't like the pickup covers either, they clank if you have them too high and if you land your finger on the pickups after playing your lowest string. Just minor stuff like that. I'm noticing some buzz at the headstock region, it's not fret buzz. In fact i have no clue what it is, may be the truss rod buzzing inside the neck or something which I hope not, but it's not a problem. If I hit multiple harmonics hard it'll do that; but I'm not exactly a play hard guy. I dig in, but I don't slaughter my bass like others do.

Great bass. Best in it's price range in my opinion. Korean job spectors compare, but the Schecter can blow em away. The tone's phenomenal throughout the bass.
  14. When people tell me it looks and sounds expensive, I say I paid $2,000 for it and it was a custom job just to mess with them. They believe me. ;)
  15. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've had my Studio 6 for a year now and the only problem I had was it came in bad need of a set-up. Since then it's been solid for me. Well worth the cost vs other active basses (and this one is a 18volt system to boot).

good luck!
  16. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Ive got my eye on a C5 with a black cherry quilted finish with the cream colored binding. I usually don't go for looks, but this bass is the best production model I have seen. There is not a picture out there that does it justice.