Schecter Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by q1014, Dec 8, 2007.

1. q1014

q1014 Guest

Aug 17, 2007
    What kind of sound do they have? Are they weel made good instruments? Ive been looking at them and ive always wondered what they sounded like> SO basically what im asking is what is your guys' opinions on schecter basses

2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I have owned two schecter basses, and i worked at GC for a while so i'm pretty familiar with Schecters. The two i owned had problems. The first was a C4 classic, and right out of the box the neck was tweeked a little, and the front pickup didn't work, so i sold it and got a Stilletto Elite. This one had bad neck problems that couldn't be fixed, and the pickups had something wrong with them, so i sold that one as well. Just a few weeks ago i had a customer who wanted one, and picked up 3 different Schecters, all with problems. One had a bowed neck, the other had loose tone pots and bad action, and the other had a non-functioning pickup. With that said i know a few people who have faultless Schecters that sound fantastic, which leads me to believe quality control at Schecter sucks.

3. BassBob185

BassBob185 Guest

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    I had a Schecter Stiletto Custom-5 Bass with a 35 inch neck. My biggest problem was the very large fret wire. Felt strange to my fingers. Had it 3 weeks then sold it. It did sound good and looked great.

4. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I love my Omen-5. Great tone. Very comfortable. Check out my MySpace page. all of the work on there was done on my Schecter.

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    All those things would have been covered under warranty, and Schecter's customer service has been amazing for me and everyone I've talked to. Curious why you wouldn't have contacted them rather than selling it... :confused:

I had a problem with the EMG EQ on my Studio 5 lefty out of the box (low band didn't function)...called Schecter, 48 hours later I had the new EQ board in my hands, installed it in 10 minutes...works great, sounds great, plays great.

JMHO, YMMV, etc, etc.

-Mark

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    I've owned two schecter Elite 5s and both were set up and played perfectly. I would say someone who has seen two in a row that were in bad shape(new) would be rare

7. AlunJWDavies

AlunJWDavies Guest

Nov 28, 2007
    Ottawa
    I never see anything about old Schecters. They use to make high end replacement parts for Fender basses. I have a 1981 Rosewood neck(defretted) by them and it is fantastic.
    A friend of mine and I both built Jazz basses in 81 made of Schecter parts and they weren't cheap! Probably 1200 bucks or so back then. I saw a PJ in Toronto a couple of years ago and the only reason I didn't pick it up was the weight. Easily 10 pounds.
    The new stuff I've tried feels cheap. Same company? Anyone? Bueller?

8. Hollow

Hollow Guest

Oct 16, 2007
    I own a schecter stilleto custom 5 it has a wide variety of sounds and sounds great on my behringer amp :)confused:). Slap and finger style both play well. It is a great bass for the price not to mention ive gotten complimented on its looks.

so to answer your question yes they are very good.

9. The Diamond series Schecters like they have at Guitar Center are made in Korea. I have played one or two and they seemed reasonably well made for the cost.

I have a couple of the American made "California Custom" basses, a fretted J and a fretless P, and they are both very well made. I wasn't crazy about the Schecter Monstertone pickups, so both basses now have Lane Poors instead.

10. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Schecter's business history is an interesting saga. After moving from parts into high end manufacturing, they had a stint of producing what were considered to be terrible imported instruments. The change in ownership and current incarnation over the last decade or slightly more has led to their current lines, which are getting great reviews (including here at TB).

I love my Studio 5. Great bass, especially for the price! It doesn't feel cheap to me in the least (it is also one heavy beast, but that's why comfort straps exist).

-Mark

11. Why would you sell bad gear right out of the box instead of returning it?? Especially if you worked at GC where you had conections to get it replaced by the manufacturer?? Bad Karma for you dude.
    Im surprised Schecter would let bad units go through since their final QA and setup is here in the US.
    I have a Stilleto Custom 5 that was the best setup bass out of the box. Schecter makes some of the best valued stuff out there. I highly recommend. I have gigged and practiced with it for 1 year straight and its an incredible bass.

12. +1

13. Spikyone

Spikyone Guest

Why would you buy a Schecter when you could buy a Cort Artisan?, they are much better and very cheap too.

14. Cort doesnt seem to be too popular and readily available in the US as Schecters. IMHO the Cort Artisan series body shape is a little weird, the headstock looks like a wanna be MTD ripoff and their logo is cheesy and lame. Plus every Cort I have ever played in the past 25 years always felt like a pile of garbage.

I can pickup any Schecter at any GC and they engage me to play them more. Thats how I bought my Stilleto. I picked it up and was like WOW! This thing feels awesome, acceptable tone and incredible price!

15. OhioBassFanatic

OhioBassFanatic Guest

Aug 17, 2005
    Cleveland Ohio
    I had an awesome Scorpion.... sounded great. damn neck was all over the place though.

16. LKdubby

LKdubby Guest

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    So far I'm diggin my Studio 5, but I've only had it for a day now... This thread is interesting to read tho.. I don't think mine has any of the neck problems that have been mentioned above.. My pickups work, and all tone knobs.. I like the sound, and so far the 35" neck hasn't bothered me..

But these are all words from a n00b.. Don't take them too seriously!

17. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Any neck issues you'd have noticed pretty quick...even my knob issue wasn't any problem; the bass worked and sounded great flat before the new EQ board, and Schecter certainly exceeded my expectations in terms of service. 10 minutes of labor and all was perfect.

Enjoy your bass, I think it is one of the best values running. I'm looking forward to a nice long relationship with mine!

-Mark

18. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO

Funny, in 2004, I ordered a Cort Curbow 5-string from "the Fiend", and it turned out to be on backorder. After a few weeks of being told that "the shippment should arrive any day", I changed my order and went with an Omen-5. Nothing against the Cort, but I am so happy that it turned out this way.

19. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

I have had 2 Shecters. The first was a 5 String Extreme Series. I was told they were a model for Canada but I think basically they were a Stiletto. Very well made bass for the money. Easy to play but I just could not get into the 5th string. It had a very big sound but was more for funk, dance etc IMO. Did not fit into the heavy rock that I play. I ended up trading it on a 4003 Ric this past summer.

My other Schecter is a C4V. I think it is a beautiful bass. Made in Korea. Very well made bass. Fast thin neck. This is a rock bass IMO. Very bold sound that cuts through a mix like crazy. Most people have said they have never seen a headstock like the one on mine. Alas it is probably going up for sale to pay for my new 4003 that walked in the door the other night. Plus I just never play it now that I have the Rics.

Best pic that I have of it right now.

IMG_0580.gif

20. LKdubby

LKdubby Guest

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    How much might that be going for anyways? Just curious..